I have had hardly any breast development. Are my Breasts Tuberous?

Do I have tuberous breasts? I have had hardly any breast development and it's really affecting how I feel about myself and my relationship with my husband. Please help.

Doesn't matter what you label it...

+3
What really matters is there is a definite correct procedure to address the shape of your breasts. And it is not a simple breast augmentation. I see these types of breasts wekly; so they are a very common condition; but it can be challenging to get a natural round teardrop shape. The entire procedure can be done from a small incision around the areola. The key is to properly release the tissue that is giving your breast a tight and pointy shape to allow for a more round shape. Sometimes even firm pieces of breat tissue have to be removed to reduce the "pointyness". placing the implant above the muscle often works better. Saline or silicone can both give you good results but you have to discuss the pros and cons with your doctor. I always advise against going too big especially since this is your first procedure. It will take time for it to settle into a more natural shape. in the future you can go bigger if you desire. I DO NOT feel you need this surgery STAT! this is a huge decision that will affect you for many years. You can get fantastic results, but please don't rush. Best of Luck Best of luck

Breast augmentation -getting it right the first time

+2

Your photos show small underdeveloped breasts with a wide internipple distance, a short nipple to inframammary fold distance on the right, a lower less discrete fold on the left that is almost absent and no cleavage. So there are some tuberours characteristics to the right breast. The lack of cleavage cannot be corrected by any breast implant. If you only put in breast implants without any adjunctive procedures the nipples will likely point even more out to the side. At least on the right you will then have a smaller base diameter breast sitting on top of a larger base diameter breast implant resulting in a dubble bubble deformity.

The adjunctive procedures should include adjustment of the nipple positions and barrel stave radial cuts in the lower half of the breast tissue on the right.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery. A face to face physical examination is required in order to know exactly what surgery should be performed.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Are my Breasts Tuberous?

+2

Everything in life is a question of degree: while your breasts have mildly tuberous features, these would not necessitate any change in standard breast augmentation technique.

If you were my patient I would advise you that your implants will sit high after surgery due to your somewhat tight lower poles. In my experience the implants settle nicely over a few months to yield an esthetically pleasing result.

Find a plastic surgeon with lots of experience in breast augmentation and discuss your implant and incision options.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants in relationships

+2

Despite what other might say, I feel that you do not have a tuberous breast. About breast implants though, you would benefit from a breast augmentation and could feel more feminine, have more choices with clothing, and feel better about yourself. A better you makes for a positive outlook and better relationships. Breast implants must be your choice alone however, never for others. The best spouse will like you for who you are, and support your for efforts to improve your confidence.

peterejohnsonmd

Slightly tuberous, but it doesn't really matter, the treatment is implants

+2

It appears that your areolae may be a little full, but you do not have a constricted base to your breasts.  The question does not really matter.  You do not need any sort of periareolar resection or scoring or any other procedure that may be recommended for tuberous breasts.   Based on your photos and the psycholgical ramifications, you clearly need a breast augmentation STAT.  It is likely to transform your life (I don't say this lightly), and totally change how you feel about yourself, and this is likely to positively affect your relationship with your husband. 

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breasts?

+2

There are many different variants of tuberous breast or constricted breast developmental deformities.  I would say from looking at your photo that you do have a variant of tuberous breast, with some areolar protrusion ("pseudoherniation" of the areola), and a very short distance from your nipple to the inframammary fold with deficient tissue in the lower pole of the breast.  You also have a rather wide distance between your breasts.  You can benefit from a breast augmentation, but it should be performed by a surgeon experienced in dealing with turberous breasts. Your inframammary folds will need to be lowered (otherwise the nipples will be too low on the breast and be downpointing), and the tight "constricted" lower pole of the breast will need to be "released" by some scoring incisions on the undersurface of the breast tissue to allow it to expand under the weight of the implant.  If after everything is settled there is still some protrusion of the areola that you do not like, a periareolar "telescoping" excision, leaving a scar surrounding each areola, could be performed, but this may not be necessary or desired.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tuberous breasts?

+1

It's difficult to tell only from this photo but your nipple prominence and breast shape do share some qualities with a mild tuberous deformity.  Without better photos or a physical exam it's difficult to advise you on whether this needs to be addressed during your breast augmentation.  In my opinion there are cases where, despite a slight tuberous deformity, simple augmentation can be performed with an acceptable result.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+1

It will be hard to feel confident about anything with the multiplicity of opinions expressed here. I don't want to add to the confusion but you should not feel like there is something wrong with your breasts and you need to consider anything other than a standard well-done breast augmentation. 

Your breasts are underdeveloped but well within normal variation. You have some mild constriction around the base of the nipple-areolas but nothing requiring a surgical correction. The only reason you don't have cleavage is because of the underdeveloped breast tissue but the actual medial edge of your breast and inter-breast distance is normal. It will fill out nicely with a low, medium, or high profile implant of the correct width. Your nipple-areola position is laterally placed but this is a normal variant and will not be corrected with an implant but if the implant is correctly positioned and of the appropriate width, it will look normal and natural. 

Unfortunately, a breast augmentation is not guaranteed to make you feel better about yourself or improve your relationship with your husband. If you do this elective, cosmetic procedure, you should do it for yourself and be realistic about what the change in look will do. Women often look and feel better and are more confident after breast augmentation but even the best surgeon can't assure that. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts?

+1

You have a mild case of tuberous breasts.  If you were my patient, I would recommend implants and a periareolar incision to reshape your areola a little bit.  You may also benefit from fat transfer to the breasts but you would need to use the Brava system to expand and loosen your breasts for several week.s 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Not Really Tuberous

+1

You do not really have tuberous breasts and I agree that you would be helped significantly with standard subpectoral breast augmentation. You breasts are widely spaced but your appearance with be much better with surgery. I think you would be very happy with this decision

Richard Linderman, MD