Is There a Way to Know if my Breasts Are Still Swollen After an Augmentation Besides Just Waiting?

I had a BA done 18 days ago. I didn't feel that I had much swelling or even pain afterwards- just my breasts were riding a bit high which is normal. Anyway, now they've dropped to a very normal position and are soft. How do I know if I still have swelling or not? I had small implants placed (about 300cc's). I wanted to take advantage of a sale of size 30 bra's (I'm very petite 95lbs)and was sized at a D! I was close to a size B but had sag from pregnancy and nursing. Is this size possible?

Breast Augmentation

To properly assess breast size, waiting for 6-8 weeks is advised.  Do not judge too soon.  Be patient and wait until healing has completed.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

On average swelling following augmentation can last for 2 to 3 months. Or I tell my patients 2 menstruation  cycles before the final size can be determined. If you fit into a D-cup than lets hope it will be the same in a few months.

Recovery and Swelling Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Most of your swelling should subside by the six week mark. If you have concerns about swelling or pain please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Brian Coan, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Timing to assess if the results will move cup size from B to D cup

A common instinct is for patients to attempt to assess the results of breast augmentation too soon. Allow your body to heal, and then you are your surgeon can properly assess if the results met your goals/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

In most cases there is not a great deal of swelling but the implants may sit higher and tend to soften and settle in the first two months. This is a tendency to downsize your bra circumference and up your cup size. You might try a 32C. You size may decrease slightly but no more than a cup size if that.

Richard Linderman, MD

It takes about 3 months

On average, it takes about 3 months to see your final result from a breast augmentation. Women who have has children and have loose skin will see their results faster because their skin is already stretched out. Chances are you still have some swelling but should completely subside in a few more weeks. Your breasts may go down in size as the swelling goes away.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast augmentation swelling

All breasts swell a bit after surgery. Certainly some swell more than others.  I would give it 6-8 weeks and sometimes longer before getting sized for new bras.

Swelling After Augmentation

If you are nearly three weeks post-op and your breasts are soft, you probably do not have a great deal of swelling at this point.  A two cup size increase is somewhat unusual with a 300cc implant, but the key is your small frame.  Remember that a 30D is the same cup size as a 34B.  This might explain your situation.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation and Recovery

Time will tell.  It usually takes about 2 months before the majority of the swelling is gone, atleast the significant part.  It usually takes about 4 months before your implants have fully settled.  So you just need to be patient.  I usually have my patients go bra shopping about 2 months time.  I allow them to use an underwire bra at that point.  Before that, I encourage them to wait otherwise they may be spending money on bras that will need to be thrown away later.

Good luck.  Be patient.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You still have swelling

Your implants are above the muscle and still have swelling. You will See the final results at 3 months post surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon