Is There a Way to Know if my Breasts Are Still Swollen After an Augmentation Besides Just Waiting?

I had a BA done 18 days ago. I didn't feel that I had much swelling or even pain afterwards- just my breasts were riding a bit high which is normal. Anyway, now they've dropped to a very normal position and are soft. How do I know if I still have swelling or not? I had small implants placed (about 300cc's). I wanted to take advantage of a sale of size 30 bra's (I'm very petite 95lbs)and was sized at a D! I was close to a size B but had sag from pregnancy and nursing. Is this size possible?

Breast Augmentation

+2

To properly assess breast size, waiting for 6-8 weeks is advised.  Do not judge too soon.  Be patient and wait until healing has completed.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

+2

On average swelling following augmentation can last for 2 to 3 months. Or I tell my patients 2 menstruation  cycles before the final size can be determined. If you fit into a D-cup than lets hope it will be the same in a few months.

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

+1

In most cases there is not a great deal of swelling but the implants may sit higher and tend to soften and settle in the first two months. This is a tendency to downsize your bra circumference and up your cup size. You might try a 32C. You size may decrease slightly but no more than a cup size if that.

Richard Linderman, MD

It takes about 3 months

+1

On average, it takes about 3 months to see your final result from a breast augmentation. Women who have has children and have loose skin will see their results faster because their skin is already stretched out. Chances are you still have some swelling but should completely subside in a few more weeks. Your breasts may go down in size as the swelling goes away.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast augmentation swelling

+1

All breasts swell a bit after surgery. Certainly some swell more than others.  I would give it 6-8 weeks and sometimes longer before getting sized for new bras.

Swelling After Augmentation

+1

If you are nearly three weeks post-op and your breasts are soft, you probably do not have a great deal of swelling at this point.  A two cup size increase is somewhat unusual with a 300cc implant, but the key is your small frame.  Remember that a 30D is the same cup size as a 34B.  This might explain your situation.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Augmentation and Recovery

+1

Time will tell.  It usually takes about 2 months before the majority of the swelling is gone, atleast the significant part.  It usually takes about 4 months before your implants have fully settled.  So you just need to be patient.  I usually have my patients go bra shopping about 2 months time.  I allow them to use an underwire bra at that point.  Before that, I encourage them to wait otherwise they may be spending money on bras that will need to be thrown away later.

Good luck.  Be patient.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You still have swelling

+1

Your implants are above the muscle and still have swelling. You will See the final results at 3 months post surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Resolution After Breast Augmentation

+1

In most patients swelling persists for 2-3 months after breast augmentation surgery. Implant settling also occurs over this time frame as well. Larger implants that produce a tightly stretched breast-skin envelope will likely take longer to settle in than smaller implants that are placing less stress on the breast. At 18 days post-op you have not reached the resolution of swelling yet, although it does seem you are progressing very well. I usually recommend that patients wait at least 2 months before buying expensive bras. This allows sufficient time for most swelling to resolve and for other shape changes to occur as the implant settles in. A bra that fits well at 1 month may not fit as well at 2 or 3 months, so spend wisely. You look great. Best wishes.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post op

+1

Swelling is normal postoperatively. Mild swelling can persist a couple of months.  I think  your concern is your bra size, not your appearance.  You look great in the bra.  Implants are sized by volume not cup size. I tell all of my patients that  we are trying achieve the appearance you want,  and it doesn't matter what cup size you wear as  bras are made diferently, and you may wear a 34C in one brand and a 32D in another. A 300 cc implant is not a big implant but it can make a big difference to the way uou look and feel.  In a petite woman who was a B cup before surgery, a 300 CC implant  can create a C or D cup.   You look great.  Don't stress over the bra size.  You will notice some changes over the next several weeks, and that D cup may not fit you the same when everything has settled. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon