Breasts Seem Spaced a Bit Far Apart After BA?

I am seven weeks post op sub-pectoral saline filled implants 360cc and 380cc. I feel as though my implants are a bit widely spaced apart. Here is a picture. What do you think?

Use your nipple position as a reference guide for spacing

+2

Looking at the photo you have sent, I do not think based on your anatomy that your implants are spaced too widely.  If you look carefully at the nipple-areolar complex it is positioned "longitudinally" more laterally (towards the side).  If you were to try to position any implant any more medially (to the center), then the nipples would point outward.  I think you have a very nice result based on your implant choice and your frame.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Cleavage is dependent on several factors

+1

The amount of cleavage from a breast augmentation is dependent on several factors including:

1) under or over the muscle.  when placed under the muscle, the implants are limited how close they can be to one another by the connection of the muscle near the sternum

2) the width of the implant.  an implant that is too narrow for your chest will result in increased distance between your implants

3) nipple/areola position.  when the nipple/areola is located very laterally (on the side of the breast) cleavage can be achieved but the implant will not be centered under the nipple/areola.  In these situations a decision must be made as to which is more important or a balance between the two will need to be made.

4) implant position.  an implant that is placed too far to the side will result in poor cleavage and too much of the breast out to the side near the arm pit.  this occurs when the pocket is opened too far laterally (to the side).

5) the brassiere.  finally, maximum cleavage where the breasts are almost touching or very close should never really be expected or created with a breast augmentation alone but should be left to be created by the garment/brassiere worn.

For your case, if additional cleavage is desired a wider implant with the same projection (and therefore overall bigger volume will be needed.  You are very close in terms of what would be considered normal cleavage.  Slightly wider implants would provide this smaller additional volume medially (toward the sternum)

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Recent breast augmentation results

+1

I think your recent results look quite good.  I would not be concerned about what you imagine to be a space between the breasts.  This most likely is the degree of separation that you have anatomically because of the width distance  of the sternum.  A subpectoral augmentation will always have a separation between the breasts  that can't be altered easily.  Be that as it may, you have now and should have in the future a beautiful result.  Your final results will not be seen for at least one year from the date of surgery, however.

Be pleased with your current results, and good luck to you for the future.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Board Certified Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Width between the breasts following augmentation

+1

Your photo shows a beautiful result from breast augmentation surgery.  The space between your breasts is your natural cleavage and is determined by your sternum and rib cage anatomy as well as your breast anatomy.  The implants appear to be  ideally placed.  Sometimes it is not possible to bring the breasts closer, however if at a later date you still want more cleavage, it might be possible with the placement of larger implants.  Give it some time, enjoy your excellent results and if still concerned, discuss with your surgeon.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant spacing

+1

Ideally, implants should be positioned behind the center of the nipple. If you have wide spread breasts, inter-nipple distance to start with, you will likely have the same after surgery. However, the larger the implants, the more appearance of cleavage you will have since larger implants are wider and thus would come closer together. High profile implants are narrower then say moderate profile implants. The shape of you chest wall may also contribute to the appearance of the implants position.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on the picture, I do not see any implant malposition problem. The nipple/areola complexes seem to be centered nicely on the breast mound.

I would suggest allowing several months to pass before making a final judgment regarding the aesthetic results of your surgery; it takes several months for patients to physically and psychologically “adapt” to the body change. If at that point you are disappointed adjustments may be possible (for example larger breast implants that help improve the cleavage area).

I  would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Space Between My Breasts After Augmentation

+1

Dear Jennylea, The space between the breasts varies from woman to woman.  One of the biggest factors in how wide apart the breasts sit is the shape of your chest wall and rib cage.  If you have a rounded, more barrel shape chest, then the breasts will sit wider apart.  If you have a concave chest wall, they will sit closer together.   One of the ways you can determine how your chest is shaped is to lay on a firm surface such as the floor and place a mirror on your stomach.  From this view, you will see the shape of your chest wall and ribs,  any asymmetry between the right and left sides, and how your breasts shift with gravity.

While it is possible to move the breasts closer together, there is often a price to pay later as the implants and the breasts follow the chest wall and migrate laterally with time leaving behind a depression in the middle of the breasts.  Using a bigger or wider implant may move the breasts closer together temporarily but as all plastic surgeons know, gravity will win eventually and they will again follow the shape of your ribs-either in or out.  

From your photo, you have very nice shaped breasts and a very natural look.  The spacing appears normal.

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Excellent result

+1

Your implants are not too far apart at all and look perfectly natural.  If you wanted more fullness and tightness centrally hopefully you would have communicated that preop to your doctor.  Only putting in a wider implant will do that but personally I'd suggest you leave your very nice result alone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS