Can I Have my Breasts Reduced/flat As a Man?

Breast Reduction to Very Small Size?

+1

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

I  hope this helps.

Breast reduction: Female to male

+1

This is essentially called a subcutaneous mastectomy to eliminate the breast tissue. If you have excessive skin you may require a large scar.

Breast reduction to male breasts

+1

Usually extreme removal of breast tissue is performed as a treatment for cancer or to prevent skin cancer.  However, in my practice I have treated women who, for various reasons, have felt that feminine breasts do not conform to their body image.  Likewise, I have treated female-to-male transgender patients who have transitioned to the point of opting for male breasts.  If you fit into either of these categories, discuss this frankly with your plastic surgeon so your goals are clear.  Also, if you are involved with a therapist about this issue, a discussion with him or her is absolutely essential before considering surgery.  Good luck.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Of course, it's called a mastectomy

+1

Tikiniliya,

The procedure that you are referring to is known as mastectomy.  It is performed routinely by breast surgeons for cancer or high risk for cancer patients.  The nipple/areola can be spared if you don't have cancer.  You would still require screening for breast cancer, however, because some breast tissue is left behind with the nipple areola.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

My breasts reduced/flat as a man

+1

Yes! It is called a simple mastectomy with nipple/areolar sparing. BUT WHY??? Seek in person evaluation from boarded surgeons in your area. Best of Luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Yes,but

+1

For this you could go to a general surgeon and have a bilateral mastectomy. That would make you flat as a man. Most plastic surgeons leave you with breasts.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD