Breast and Nipple Sore - Due to 35-year-old Implants?

I have had breast implants for 35 years. I am 58 years old. I never had any kind of problem! Today, My left breast and nipple was very sore. My nipple is red and hard. Could this have anything to do with my implant? Thank You in advance

Breast and nipple sore

+1

Whether you had implants for a few months or for 50 years, if you have had a recent change with worsening pain, you should be evaluated.

+1

Sudden changes like this warrant full evaluation by your primary physician. Hopefully you have been obtaining baseline mammograms and surveillance studies along the way. Implant problems could also be the source so schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon.

Breast and nipple sore - due to 35-year-old implants

+1

SEE a Surgeon ASAP! You need mammogram, sonogram what ever but seek care NOW! Concerned you may have a breast disease not an implant issue.

From MIAMI Dr. B

35 year old Breast Implants have probably leaked a while ago and may cause discomfort

+1

A nipple and or areola which is red and hard should be evaluated immediately. A small biopsy may be in order to make sure you do not have an uncommon form of Breast Cancer called PAGET'S DISEASE.Once this is ruled out the likely cause may be the underlying implant.

35 years is an extremely long period for any woman to have intact breast   implants. I would be surprised if the implant(s) is/are still intact. This can be verified with a MRI examination. You may wish to consider if you want your implants to be removed or to be exchanged as your plastic surgeon would ask you this question and based on your answer would give you the benefits and trade offs with each.

Good Luck,

Dr. P. Aldea

Old implants need to be evaluated

+1

You have done very well for a long time.  With your current situation I would tell you to seek a plastic surgeon so you can get some information about your implants.  The implants may have nothing to do with your current problem but you need to be seen.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Change in breast following implants

+1

It is impossible to tell you how your nipple changes and symptoms are related to your implants. But any change in your breast or nipple demands an exam by your doctor. While there is a high likelihood of a possible leak in your implants simply due to its age, this does not mean the nipple symptoms are related. At your age, there always has to be a high degree of suspicion in changes that occur to your breasts.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

See your doctor.

+1

I would make an appointment to see your doctor right away. I don't think this is related to your implant, but might be a problem with your breast.

Sean Wright, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort with implants 35 years old

+1

The implants you have are an older generation and to be honest with you, they have probably leaked within the scar your body built around them called the capsule. I would recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon close to you so they can examine you and guide you as to what your next step should be.

It is very important you continue to have breast imaging studies as well, and a breast MRI would be very helpful for the plastic surgeon you see.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Possible but get evaluated soon to be sure.

+1

It might be implant or capsule -related. It could also be a tumor. Get yourself to your doctor for a proper evaluation.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon