5 Months Post-op Breast Augmentation - Why Don't my Breasts Move?

I had my surgery about 5 months ago now. My breast are soft but they dont move, at all. My left has dropped possibly a little too much because my nipple sits a bit high. My right hasnt really done anything, its still high but soft. I have talked to my surgeon but he thinks it will just take time. And as for my left being too low he told me to place padding under it to push it up and close the pocket under it. Do u think the pockets werent made big enought? Im not sure what to do. Please help.

Breast issues

+1

Breasts that do not move can be as simple as the outer surface being textured.  AS for the asymmetry so me of this is normal but I can not say without photos.

Breast Asymmetry

+1

It is impossible to answer your questions without photographs. That being said, there are many things that could be going on with your breasts, from capsular contracture to bottoming out. If you could post photographs i would be able to answer your concerns more directly.

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Capsular Contracture

+1

Most likely you have capsular contracture preventing your implants moving.  The problem on the left side is not that the pocket wasn't big enough, but the pocket was created to low, I think, and with the weight of the implant, the implant went even further down.  Sorry, but it's difficult to offer a definitive treatment plan without seeing a picture. 

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry following breast augmentation

+1

I would agree with the previous posts that photos are essential.  If you can provide both before/after photos, that would help greatly!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Soft, Immovable Breast Implants?

+1

As you have seen from the answers you question is somewhat complex due to the lack of pictures and lack of the ability to have a physical exam.  To help yourself in this forum pictures would be a start.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Here are possible reasons for your concerns, and what to do

+1

Dear Kaz 1983,

Without photos it is hard to make an assessment of your case. However, there are some general points that can be made.

Mobility: you state that the breasts don't move but are soft; this may be a result of  factors that decrease mobility: textured implant, small pocket, insufficient muscle release. The  type of implant you have may also affect mobility. If your surgeon used highly cohesive gel implants (eg Mentor CPG or Natrelle 410), then they will not move very much. These implants are designed so that they are placed in a snug fitting pocket, and they are textured. These factors limit the mobility of these implants, so your result might be expected.

Asymmetry: you state that the position of the implants are uneven; factors that can cause this: insufficient time for implants to settle, unevenly made implant pockets, uneven muscle release, pre-existing breast/nipple asymmetry, capsular contracture.  Based on your information, capsular contracture is unlikely, but there may be some more settling to occur. I cannot comment on pre-existing asymmetry, pocket symmetry or symmetry of muscle release. 

Elevation of implant with padding in the bra: I highly doubt that doing this will accomplish anything at this point in your healing.

Bottom line: If your concerns do not resolve or appear to be resolving within the next 3 months, speak to your surgeon again. By that time, if you are still asymmetric, a revision is likely the only viable option. Good luck

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

unfortuently, without proper photos a good reply can be given.  can you supply photos?

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Breast don't move because of big implants?

+1

First of all, woundhealing is a process that takes at least a year, so changes can still happen. Having said that most of the healing happens in the first 4 months. I personally think that it is unlikely that your inframammary fold will move up and that you can close a pocket with padding after 5 months....

As to the moving, i tend to see a lot of BIG augmentations on the internet fora. I don't know about you but the bigger the implants, the tighter the skin the less they move. Off course that depends allso on skin quality..., the looser, the more they move.

If you need more precise answers, we need to see at least some pictures and preferably see you in person. Since it is unlikely that you will travel to Belgium from Australia ;-) , i advise you to ask for a second opinion in your neighbourhood.

Good luck

Ivar van Heijningen, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

5 Months post-op breast augmentation issues

+1

It can take six months or more for breast implants to settle. If you are right-handed, generally the right side takes longer because the right muscle is tighter. From your note is difficult to tell whether the left is too low or just low in relation to the right. At this point in time I don't think padding on the left will help push it up. If nothing changes you may need to have both sides reopened, the capsule on the right either partially removed or released to allow the implant to drop, and sutures placed into the capsule on the left to close up the space and push it up. Generally the surgeon doesn't finish the operation until the pockets are made large enough. After the surgery pockets can close due to bleeding scar tissue inflammation and swelling. This can be reopened but it does take another procedure.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Allow time for breast augmentation results to

+1

Breasts begin asymmetric and correction freqeuntly requires over treating the breasts and then allowing time for the results to settle. This may take anywhere from 6-9 months. You still may require surgery but you should probably wait for a stable result before perfroming surgery prematurely.