Breasts Too Large After Reduction

I recently underwent a breast reduction surgery and wanted to go from E to B. My surgeon agreed. Now the surgery is about a week ago and my breasts are a big C to small D. I am very skinny with 107 lbs and 5.5' and I am pretty devastated as all I ever wanted was a small breast. Now my question is, is it possible for the swelling to go down so much that my breasts will be a B cup? If not, what are my options, as my current size is definitely too big for me?

Breasts are felt to be too large immediately following a breast reduction

+2

First of all, it is way too early to determine the final cup size of your breasts at only 1 week postoperatively. It may take a minimum of around 6 months or more for the majority of the swelling to dissipate. You may be pleasantly surprised at that time.

With regard to the cup size that you ultimately desired, your discussion and your doctor's interpretation of what you wanted are only known to you and him/her. What was "promised" or specifically stated therefore can't be evaluated by an outsider. As regards cup size, there is no standard that is industry wide so that a "B" cup manufactured by one company will be a "C" cup by another.

I would be patient and give yourself around 6 months. Express your concerns with your surgeon. In the worst case scenario, a further reduction can be performed if desired and warranted.

Inadequate breast reduction

+1
Most patients worry that they will be too small or disproportionate to the rest of their bodies! Cup sizes aren't great estimators of breast size and shape. You are in the very early preop period and are still qute swollen. Be patient and reserve judgment for the next few months. It is important to create a reduced breast which still has an appropriate shape and projection and remember that cup size is also proportional to the width of your chest.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Too early to determine size

+1

Please be patient with your recovery and try to stay emotionally stable... it's hard, I know, but you cannot determine the final cup size until several months post op.  There are many factors related to recovery and final cup size (swelling, contraction of the tissue, etc).  Give yourself the time to fully recover and then have a conversation with your PS regarding issues (if there are still issues).

It is unlikely that you will reach your desired breast size once the swelling resolves.

+1

Although it is very early in your recovery it is unlikely that there is enough swelling to account for the additional 1 to 2 cup size decrease needed to reach your goal of being a B cup. In other words, once the swelling resolves you are still likely to be larger then a B cup. It usually takes to about 3 months post-op before you can assume all the swelling has left your breasts and you can accurately evaluate their size. At that time you will have the option to undergo a revision.  If you do opt for a revision, it may be possible to accomplish the additional reduction in size via liposuction alone. Ask your surgeon about this option since it is an easier road to take then a second formal breast reduction surgery.

David A. Ross, MD

Breast size decreases as swelling disappears

+1

It is way too soon to worry.  Thing will change for months as the swelling disappears.

The other thing to remember is that the surgeon cannot change your rib cage size or breast width.  There are limits in how much breasts can be reduced without causing just a new deformity.

The worst case, which is very rare, is that you can have more removed in a year if you are still too big.  In all likelihood, that won't be necessary.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Not As Small As I Wanted To Be

+1

Hi Annita.

As problems go, this is a good one.

First of all, it is WAY too early for you to make a determination about the final size of your breasts.  You still have swelling and some distortion; it will take at least several more weeks, and most likely months, before you see that absolute final result.

Secondly, it sounds like your surgeon actually did you a favor.  It is not generally considered advisable to reduce the breasts too dramatically, since it becomes difficult to achieve a good shape and, in addition, the blood supply to the nipple and/or areola can be compromised.  Of course, it can still be done, particularly if you know what the consequences may be - but this might actually turn out to be a better thing for you.

Finally,  you can always elect to have the reduced further if, as you continue to heal, you remain unsatisfied with the size.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast reduction post results too large

+1

It is very difficult to reduce a very large breast to a very small breast and still keep a good shape.  Sure, post-op you will have some swelling, but I doubt very much that the breasts swelling will dissipate so much to leave you with a B cup.  Now, you will have to wait a few months and see what happens.  You can always get them revised.

Breasts still large after a breast reduction

+1

It's still fairly early for you to realize your true final cup size. I would allow a few months for the swelling to go down. Although your size may not decrease to a "B" cup, you can always have surgery (a year from now) to further reduce the size of your breasts. Sometimes when patients have very large breasts (E cup) it's difficult to decrease the size down to a B cup without flattening and distorting the final breast shape. This may have been a concern on the part of your surgeon.

Be patient for now and continue to see your plastic surgeon for close follow up care.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Reduction size

+1

I doubt there will be a major change in your size as the swelling goes down. Obviously there was some disconnect between your wishes and the procedure. Breasts can always be made smaller after you have healed and the scars matured. Relax and let nature take its course, then re discuss the issue with your doctor.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Size after Reduction

+1

Since you are only one week after surgery, it is way to early to get worried.  There is still significant swelling which will take weeks to resolve.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD