Breasts Too Large After Reduction?

I had breast reduction surgery two weeks ago. They now look lovely and no longer drag on my neck. However I was aghast to find that I'm still fitting into UK 34F cup bras. I was 34g before the op and asked to go as small as safely possible but he only removed 300g from each breast. It was really important to me to look normal but I'm still top heavy (5ft 4 in 140 pounds). Can I realistically expect the swelling to reduce by much more and what are my options? Im a bit down about this.

Breast Reduction - How Small is Too Small?

+2

Hi wayhay,

I'm sorry about the concerns you're having now.  In general, there is a lot of swelling at two weeks post-op, so I wouldn't even begin to be concerned about your final appearance and size based on the way you look right now.  You still have a long way to go.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that I don't think that a 300 gram removal will be enough to give you the result you wanted.  While there are no absolute formulas, it is approximately 250-300 grams per bra cup size (less than that for women with smaller ribcages and narrow shoulders).  A 34 F is the same thing as a 34 DDD (there's a D, a double D which is also called an E, and a triple D which is also called an F).  There are certainly wide variations from person to person, but I think you might have needed a greater reduction in order to get the size you say you wanted.

That being said, I cannot - of course - comment specifically without seeing before and after photos.  And, at least, you could always have a little more taken off.  As you might imagine, correcting the other problem - too much was taken off - is a far greater issue.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Breasts too large after reduction

+2

Two weeks is too early to make any long term decisions about your result.  The swelling doesn't start to settle until about 3 months and then can take many months to fully settle.  Having said that, 300g is quite a small reduction and you probably will not notice a drastic change in cup size. 

If you remain too large, then you could benefit from liposuction, particularly if your nipples are well placed and not sitting too low.  This would decrease some of the heaviness, which is often a problem on the sides by your armpits.  Alternatively, you could consider a further reduction, although I wouldn't take this on lightly.

Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+2

Although it's impossible for me to say by how much, it's completely possible for me to say that your breasts will continue to change over the next couple of months.  As you continue to heal, keep an eye on your diet and exercise - don't gain weight.  When you go back to see your surgeon you can readdress your breasts.  You will find one of a few things.  You may find that you're quite pleased with things.  You may find that you need to do a bit more healing, Or you may find that you might benefit from more surgery.  Don't panic.  There may well be a "lesser" surgical alternative for you (such as lipousuction) than having to re-do your reduction.

Robert Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Breast cup size after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your description I fear that you will be displeased with the ultimate breast size achieved. Your breasts will continue to change however for several months  to a year after the surgery at which point you should make the determination about the final breast size. At that point you may decide that further breast reduction is necessary.

If further surgery becomes necessary it will be very important to communicate your overall goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction results

+1

At two weeks after surgery you certainly would still have a considerable amount of swelling.  You should ask your PS how much weight from each breast was removed and discuss your dissatisfaction with him.  That said give it some time, it often takes 4-6 weeks for the swelling to subside.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

At two weeks you will certainly have a lot of swelling. Give it some time to settle down.  You may need a revision if you are not satisfied.

Breast Too Large After Reduction

+1
It is possible that you are still swollen, actually you are still swollen. It is hard to predict when your swelling will subside. Be patient and talk to your surgeon about your concerns.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Concerned about remaining too large following a breast reduction 2 weeks ago

+1

Two weeks after a breast reduction is way too early to see the final outcome as your swelling will continue to decrease. However, given your dimensions and pre-op and postsurgical bra size, it is highly unlikely that you will ultimately obtain the much smaller size that you desired.

Express you concerns with your doctor now. I would give your situation about 6 months to stabilize and then consider further removal of tissue if you feel that you still are way too large.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Too large breasts after reduction.

+1

It is a bit early in the post operative period.

Give it a few more months for further recovery and if it is still bothersome to you ,talk to your surgeon.

If the shape is good , the nipples are well positioned and the braests are somewhat fatty  then further liposuction  may be all you need.

Erel Laufer, MD