Uneven Breasts - Insurance?

I have always had very un-even breasts...One is D-DD the other is B (at most) -- would my insurance cover this? I am not opposed to getting a breast reduction (obviously in the larger breast) but I would like to get both done so that sagging/aging will not affect only one. I have BCBS if this helps.

Insurance and breast asymmetry

+1

In most cases, Insurance companies will deem breast asymmetry correction a cosmetic procedure. You should consider a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. I have had great success is assisting patients with asymmetry. Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts - Insurance?

+1

No, Sorry! This is considered cosmetic by the insurance industry standards.  Breast reduction is only covered when there are symptoms sucha as back pain, shoulder grooving or severe rashes under the breasts.  Even then, the insurance companies will require a minimum gram weight removed before they would cover it. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

Unfortunately medical insurance does not cover breast asymmetry.  In rare cases, they will cover congenital abscence of the breast, but this is also very difficult to get covered.  The bottom line is that insurance companies are only interested in paying for procedures that are "medically necessary."  Even though you and your plastic surgeon may believe that the surgery is medicall necessary, especially from an emotional point of view--your insurance company will not have the same view.  I suggest you see a few board-certified plastic surgeons to get various opinions and estimates on the cost.  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Breast asymmetry

+1

In the United States, insurance companies do not cover breast asymmtery. I do not know how it is in Europe.  Most likely an implant can be placed in the smaller one or a reduction can be performed on the larger one to get them closer.

Breast Assymetry

+1

When a patient presents in my office with your concern, generally, they feel that an augmentation on the smaller side and a reduction on the larger side is all they need to be happy and symmetric. In my experience however, I have found that in the long term, you really need to do the same thing to both breasts for a multitiude of reasons. Of course, you would reduce the larger breast, but in order for it to age the way the smaller breast would with an implant, I would encourage a very small implant in the larger breast as well. In addition to that, a lot of women, despite the volume being the same, can't deal with different incisions on each breast, so incisions on the smaller breast would be made to mirror the ones on the larger breast. In over 20 years, I have certainly tried to do the least amount of surgery (i.e. the reduction on one side, implant on the other) and the patients who have been the most happy, are the ones whose breasts look exactly alike.

Best of  luck with your surgery.