Breast Augmentation - Lifting Child After Surgery?

My breasts are hugely uneven. I'll be 39 in a few weeks, and seriously considering surgery. BUT I have a two year old, whom I am the primary care giver for, and needless to say need to be able to lift her. Would that be safe? I've read no heavy lifting for 3- 4 weeks and nothing over 10 lbs.

Heavy lifting post breast surgery

+1

It is important that you follow all post-op care instructions of your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure the best results possible. I suggest waiting atleast 4-6 weeks post-op surgery prior to any heavy lifting. Although all patient's recovery time may vary, it is crucial that you do not push yourself with any strenuous activity to avoid any complications. If it is necesary to lift your 2-year old, use good body mechanics. It would be beneficial for you to have a good support system to help you during the first few weeks of surgery. Good luck and take care.

Lifting after breast augmenation

+1

It is a very comman question that my patients ask me.  Most women after pregnacy/breast feeding have deflation of their breast volume and want augmentation or augmentation with lift.  I advise my patients to take it easy (less than 10lb) for 1-2 weeks.  After two weeks, you can gradually lift more.  I would avoid heavy exercising (including upper body movement, body pumping) for 3 weeks.  For the first 1-2 weeks, you don't want to lift heavy objects or children because you do not want to hurt yourself and because you want your implants to settle down faster. Please have your family and friends to help you the fist two weeks.

Sugene Kim, MD

Cosmetic Breast Surgery For Moms

+1

It is very common to perform procedures on the breast as part of a mommy makeover.  I generally recommend taking it easy with lifting for about 1-2 weeks.  Most moms are OK with child care during this period.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to ask a family member or girlfriend to get a little extra help.  I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous acitivty for 4 weeks (in terms of working out etc.) Hopet his helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Activity Restrictions After Breast Surgery

+1

The reason why most plastic surgeons limit the activity and lifting after breast surgery is two fold.

1. Increased activity can increase your heart rate and blood pressure which can lead to increased swelling

2. Increased activity and heavy lifting in the early post-op period can increase the chance of bleeding.

Whether it's a 10lb limit or 15lb or 20lb differs from one surgeon to another and whether it's 2 wks, 3 wks, or 4 wks also differs from one surgeon to another.

The bottom line is that going into any surgery you want to give your body the time it needs to heal. What makes a surgery ultimately successful is a proper surgical plan, a well executed surgical procedure, AND time to recover from the surgery.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast Assymetry

+1

Depending on the amount of pospartum deflation and breast sagging, you may need a lift in combination with your augmentation.   A lift will require more downtime and need for assistance in child care.   With an augmentation alone, one can begin light activity at 1 week and advance up to full activity by 4 weeks.   

In elective cosmetic surgery, it is most important to consider safety first.   As a surgeon, i want to give my patients the most aesthetically pleasing, yet longest lasting results.   Anything that may compromise this concerns me.   I would recommend a caregiver to assist you in your recovery period.   if you are unable to find assistance, the safest option may be to delay surgery until your child is older.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Uneven Breasts -can be corrected with surgery

+1
Almost everybody has uneven breasts. Ofcourse there is a range of unevenness. Most people don't need this corrected but some do. There are tons of great tons of great options available depending on your situation. I am conservative and do require my patients not to do any heavy lifting for 3-4 weeks after surgery.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Restrictions after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for the question.

Activity restrictions following a breast augmentation will vary from surgeon to surgeon. In general, I require my patients to refrain from heavy lifting for two weeks. The idea behind that is you want to give the cut edge of the pectoralis muscle ample time to heal, as straining the muscle may cause bleeding which is surmised to be a culprit in the development of capsular contractures.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Lift with Legs after Surgery

+1

I ask my patients who want to have breast surgery and have small children whom they need to lift that they should use their legs rather than their arms to lift.  This done by stooping down to pick up children and then using your legs to do the actual lifting.  This corresponds to the method of lifting often recommended to avoid injury to the back.  You discuss your situation with the plastic surgeon whom you choose.

John Whitt, MD

Breast asymmetry correction has quick recovery.

+1

Hi.

1) Years ago, I wrote a textbook chapter on breast asymmetry, and as a result, I get referred an unusually high number of patients (9% of women have significant breast asymmetry). This is perhaps why I don't agree with most of my colleagues about length of recovery.

2) The most common combination is reduction-lift of the larger breast (lollipop scar), and augmentation of the smaller one. But there are several other possibilities based on the anatomy.

3) Our patients who have a desk job go back to work in four days. That should give you an idea. You can certainly pick up your baby in one week without restriction. In three weeks with a good sports bra, you can do anything (tennis, etc).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction and lifting

+1

I prefer that after a breast reduction, my patient sdo not lift heavy objects for a few weeks after surgery. When patients have youn children, I usually tell them that the child can  grab on to their necks from a crib after about a week, but shouldn't actually lift them out with their arms.