Uneven Breasts After Surgery - What Do I Do?

I had my surgery on the 18th of March. My left breast was slightly larger and slightly lower. My PS went with 570cc saline for the left and 590cc for the right to try and even them out a bit. They looked great, (a little high which is expected) symmetrical but swollen. However now after 17 or so days the left one (570cc) is a lot smaller, softer, and lower than the right. The right one is still sitting higher as I dont think it has dropped yet, it is a lot tighter and harder and bigger.

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

+2

You state that you hah breast augmentation on the 18th of March. Which year? If you still have asymmetry with a higher ridding implant on the right, most likely it will not come down without surgery.  If you had it in Jan 2011 (not March) than I would wait about 6 months for the implants to settle. You should be reevaluated at that time.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant asymmetry is common early after surgery

+2

The issues you are describing are the experience of most patients in the early post-op setting- especially women that have submuscular breast implants. Time and healing usually sort out these minor asymmetries.

Web reference: http://www.breastaugmentation-seattle.com/html/breast_surgery_natural_results.php

Concerned about symmetry 17 days after breast augmentation

+2

It is very important to keep in mind that you are very early on in the healing process.

Your result has a very long way to go.

Maintain a good relationship with your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him or her.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+2

If you had asymmetry before, you will still likely have some after.  I don't understand the March surgery, and being 17 days ou given that the date today is 2/7/11.  Either way, if you are 17 days out and just have the dates mixed up, you are not done healing at all.  Stay close to your doctor and follow their advice on what is happening and on what to do.

+1

There are normal things that cause temporary asymmetry after breast augmentation and there are potential problems that cause asymmetry.

• swelling is sometimes worse on one side and may resolve more slowly on a side.
  • everyone is asymmetrical and it is impossible to get things perfectly symmetrcal
  • if one side is much bigger and tighter, this could be a sign of a hematoma

Most of the time minor differences in swelling are not a major concern and improve over time. It is important, however, to keep your plastic surgeon in the loop to make sure they are aware and can evaluate you if necessary. 

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Post op breast asymmetry

+1

It is impossible to know your end results at this early post op time.  Even though the same surgery was done on the right and left breasts, the healing process will not be equal.  At the volume differewnce you have, 20 cc's is insignificant relativily.  Give 3-6 more months of healing time before you worry.  For now enjoy!

Uneven breasts after breast augmentation; when to worry?

+1

Patience is one of the most important factors in achieving the best results in cosmetic surgery. We all want to see the final result as early as possible. Unfortunately, the healing process is complicated and takes time. You cannot fight Mother Nature. The surest way to get a poor result is to undergo revision surgery before your body is ready for additional surgery.

With more than 30 years and thousands of breast augmentations, I have found that breast augmentations take about six months for the swelling to go down and the breasts to settle and assume their final size and shape. When we do a breast enlargement, surgeons try to center the implant behind the nipple. Minor position adjustments can be accomplished to account for the normal asymmetry that most women have. If the breasts are different sizes, saline implants can be adjusted to achieve better symmetry.

Please wait until six months post op and then return to your original surgeon. Minor asymmetry is normal. Too vigorous surgical approaches may result in more expense, more scarring, and new complications.

Be patient and realistic.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Philadelphia

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Compensating for uneven breasts with different sized implants

+1

It really take 6-9 months and not 2-3 weeks for breasts to settle. When compensating for different sized breasts the smaller breast with the bigger implant will always feel tighter, harder and rounder that the smaller implant inthe larger breast. Keep things in perspective: the right is only slightly larger than the left implant by approximately one tablespoon

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast position

+1

As the breasts descend into the pocket at different rates, one may look smaller than the other. GIve ti some time to settle in.

Changing breast size

+1

If there is a noticeable change in the size of saline breast implants immediately after surgery, you have to consider that there may be a leak in the smaller implants.  If there is just a minor change, the it may just be natural settling of the implants - especially in the first few weeks after surgery you should expect some changes.  However, a difference between the two breasts is concerning and should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.