Will Breasts Look Bigger After They Drop?

I got my breasts done a little over 2 weeks ago. I am 5'5, 116 lbs. My doctor and I decided to go with 450cc saline, high profile. However, after my surgery he told me he filled it up to 450 but went back down to 435cc because the 450cc looked too big. Its been 2 weeks now and I still wished he went 450cc, will they look smaller the more they drop?

Need time to allow the implant to drop into position

The implant shape may change but they will not looks smaller as they drop. At this point you just need to wait and allow gravity and you tissues to accommodate to the implant volume. 

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

15cc Difference in Breast Implant Size

Don't fall in love with a cc.

15cc is one tablespoon.  It is 3% of the volume of a 450cc implant.  After surgery, implants are often swollen, high and a bit goofy looking.  They need time to settle.  The last thing you want to do is go in too early, (during the inflammatory response after surgery).  Give it time and stay in contact with your plastic surgeon.  He will guide you through the process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

9280 W. Sunset Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89148

Too early to evaluate the outcome

The implants have a tendency to look larger after they drop.  You are very early after surgery, so there is some settling still.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

The Recovery Period Following Breast Augmentation Is Characterized By Rapid Change

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change.  During this dynamic phase of healing, swelling, muscle spasm, and the healing process itself all contribute to changes in the appearance of a women’s breast.  In some cases swelling and muscle spasm can displace the breast implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle.

When swelling and muscle spasm resolve the implants will drop into a more normal position.  When this occurs patients lose some of their upper pole breast fullness and frequently they perceive this as making their breast look smaller.

Resolution of swelling is a more complex issue.  Obviously, when breast tissue becomes less swollen, the breast ultimately looks smaller as well.  This is often offset by resolution of swelling in the surrounding tissue.  Resolution of swelling in the surrounding areas can bring greater definition to the breasts and actually make them look bigger.

It’s important to remember that 15ccs represents a tablespoon of liquid which is layered over the implant in three dimensions.  This would have a minimal impact on breast size.

The interactions of these variables in the immediate post-operative period make decisions about breast size very difficult.  For this reason, decisions regarding size should be delayed until this dynamic process has run its course.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Breasts long term look

usually the breasts are maximaly swollen for the first week or two and then the sweling goes down. So in all likelihood they will look slightly smaller.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Do not agonize over a mere 15cc difference because this equates to 1/2 a shot glass of water.

Your breasts should not actually be or appear any smaller whether or not they drop and they don"t always do so.. However, because you are only 2 weeks after surgery there is certainly at this point some residual swelling that is contributing to your present visible breast size. Expect this element of swelling to spontaneously resolve in the coming months and this will undoubtedly lead to some overall decrease in size But please do not agonize over the 15ccs your surgeon elected to omit because this  amount is the equivalent of 1/2 a shot glass of water. Therefore, there is an insignificant final difference between a 435cc implant size and one of 450cc.

David A. Ross, MD

875 North Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611

They'll look more natural

Congratulations on your breast augmentation! You should wait for at least 3-4 months for your breast implants to settle before you assess your results. Please wait until then, as your breasts will gradually round out at the bottom for a more natural breast contour ('drop and fluff'), rather than look smaller. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Breast Appearance after Dropping

Most patients perceive the breasts to look smaller after they drop. The reason is that the fuller the upper breast the larger people perceive the breasts to be - think push-up bra. 

As far as your situation, 15cc is 1/2 of an ounce. I highly doubt that anyone, me included, would be able to tell the difference in a 435cc implant and a 450cc implant. I would suggest patience; at this point (two weeks post-op) you should let things heal and settle in and not be anxious about the final result.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

235 Cypress St.
Brookline, MA 02445

435 vs 450cc

Your breasts will have less volume at the top as they settle, but overall should not look smaller. At two weeks you likely have some swelling and as this resolves you may look smaller. 15cc is about one tablespoon of volume - don't fixate on the number. If after several months you are unhappy with your size, discuss it with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Drop and Fluff after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

Although I cannot provide you with precise advice, I can tell you that patients generally do not "lose a cup size" as the healing process continues.  In my practice, I find that as breast implants “settle” (drop and fluff),  over the course of the first few months, patients feel that their breasts appear larger.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942