Breast pumping. My breasts are "tuberous" & about half an A cup?

If the nipples are massaged or cold the nipple herniation corrects itsself & my breasts look round & normal. I want to correct the herniation so I was wondering if inducing lactation by pumping & contuining to pump for a while would permanently release the skin that is too tight & causing the herniation because of the stretching that would occur from the milk? Is it true I might permanently lose my breast volume? I don't have any to give up.

Herniated areolas and tuberous breasts

+1

Hi,

Tuberous breasts in many cases have a degree of areola stretching and in many cases this appears as a herniation of the areolas. When you "tweek" the nipple complex, you are artificially causing a flattening of the areolas as the muscle fibers pull the nipple areola complex (NAC) into the breast tissue.

A pump will not solve this issue whatsoever. It may cause further stretching of the areolas but probably not. Just not the solution.

The proper answer here is to do a donut mastopexy with concentric circles around your NAC's and in the process, you will make the diameter of the areola less and diminish the awkward look of the protruding NAC's that is present in tuberous breasts. You might need some other approach to add to this but without a picture, the answer just cannot be case specific. You indicate that you do not have much breast tissue to spare so you might want to place an implant at the same time. It is placed through the donut mastopexy incisions (Benelli)

You might like to see an extreme case of tuberous breasts with herniated areolas. I have attached the link.

Good luck with your decision making. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with breast surgery.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts usually require some sort of areola reduction and implosion of the breast that is herniating through the areola Best to be seen in person to figure out what would be best for you.

Breast pump

+1

Without photos or knowing the type of pump you're using, it's hard to answer this question. Typically, breast pumps stretch the skin of the areola and can cause some deformity and enlarging of the areolas. They will not add breast volume.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Tuberous Breasts?

+1

I am not aware of the “method” that you describe helping correct the appearance of tuberous/constricted breast. It is true, that many women will lose some breast “volume” after breastfeeding; this process is called involutional hypoplasia.

At some point, if the appearance of your breasts remain a concern, you may benefit from in person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper breast implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

I hope this, and the attached link (devoted to the treatment of patients with constrictive/tuberous breasts), helps.