Breastfeeding with a Leaking Saline Implant - Replace with Silicone?

I am currently breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. I had saline implants placed under the muscle almost 7 years ago. One implant is deflated due to a leak (I assume.)I need both implants "fixed"(the other has slipped out or under the pocket.)Do I stop BF to get both done(replace w silicone), wait another year til I'm done BF to get them done, or just replace the broken one with another (under warranty?) which is most cost effective? I am planning on having more children but waiting about 4-5y

Deflated leaking implant while nursing: Treatment options

+2

I believe the health of your child comes first and nursing is important towards achieving that goal although some would say that this is most important for the frist 3 months. In my mind the leaking implant is not an issue. My advice: continue nursing unitl you feel you are done. If your one implant has deflated. When you are ready,deflate the other 2-3 weeks pior to surgery. Re-assess the shape of your breasts and I think you would do best with implant removal, submuscular placement of silicone implants and a lift.  Take this advice for what it is worth.

Implant Exchange timing and breast feeding

+1
Their is no problem breast feeding with a ruptured saline implant to you or your baby. The saline is absorbed as it is just salt water. Speak with your Plastic Surgeon re: best timing for replacement with silicone implants is  when you are all finished with breast feeding, I recommend waiting until your breasts are back to baseline which takes several months following breast feeding. I would recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months and 1 year is even better.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breastfeeding with a Leaking Saline Implant

+1

Your child's well being is of paramount concern. Finish breast feeding, and then assess your options. You should continue your communication with your surgeon to ensure that he/she understands your timeframe and objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breastfeeding and implant deflation

+1
I recommend that after you are finished breastfeeding, you wait at least three months ad then consider your options. Then you will know what size the implants will need to be, if you need a small lift, etc. If the unbroken implant has somehow come out of the pocket, it would be wise to replace both and to speak with your plastic surgeon about whether to switch from saline to silicone gel.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Timing of Breast Revision Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

If I were you I would complete the breast-feeding process and then undergo revisionary breast augmentation surgery. This revisionary surgery may involve capsulorrhaphy (to repair the breast implant pocket  on the side where the implant has slipped out), exchange to silicone gel implants and even mastopexy (breast lifting).

The breast lifting procedure may be beneficial  because of  breast position changes  that you will notice after you have stopped breast-feeding.

Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breastfeeding with deflated saline implant

+1

I would suggest finishing with the breast feeding.  Then wait an appropriate amount of time and get the surgery done.  Keep in contact with your plastic surgeon and together you can come up with an appropriate plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast feeding and implants

+1

It is your choice to decide when to stop breast feeding and when to have the revision surgery. You will have to wait at lest several months after stopping breast feeding.

Breast feeding and implants

+1

The quickest and my preferred method is to stop breast feeding then (3-6 months) to have both implants replaced/pocket repaired.  However, you have to weigh how much breast feeding means to you.  If you plan to continue breast feeding, you should wait to have the operation done. I do not recommend doing one at a time as that method is the most costly and least satisfactory as far as patient satisfaction.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon