Breastfeeding and botox. Is it safe to resume?

I stopped breastfeeding after 8 months, and I treated myself with a botox treatment. Is it possible to resume breastfeeding, if I continue to pump and dump to keep my milk production up. If so, after how long would it be safe to resume breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding and Botox

+1
I would avoid having Botox while you are breastfeeding.  There are no studies to support its safety during pregnancy and I would avoid taking any risks.

+1
Botox is generally not considered unsafe for breastfeeding women, but it is not recommended. I would suggest fully finishing with breastfeeding before receiving anymore injections. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Botox and breast feeding

+1
  • Should you resume breast feeding?  Consult your pediatrician and OB-GYN.
  • Botox cosmetic injections into the face should not have any breast feeding effect after a week.
  • You should not get Botox again until you have permanently stopped breast feeding. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Breastfeeding and Botox

+1
In truth, it is not recommended to have Botox and breastfeed. I personally don't treat people with Botox when I know they are breastfeeding. While there is not medical proof the Botox would enter your bloodstream and get to your baby, why chance it? Wait until you are 100% done breastfeeding to get Botox. And follow-up with your child's pediatrician on when you should begin breastfeeding again - I'm sure this won't be the first time the question is asked of him/her!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Within a day you can safely

+1
resume breastfeeding...botox doesn't remain in the body very long...it's cleared very quickly...in fact there's so little that reaches the blood that if you didn't stop at all, the likelihood of a measurable concentration of botox reaching the blood, then the breast milk is too small to worry about...but in our society, give yourself a day and don't worry.

Ken Landow, MD