Breastfeeding After Explant?

I recently was unable to breastfeed my daughter due to her not latching. I had implants under the muscle 5 years ago through the nipple. I was able to pump adequate milk for her but stopped due to my nipples being in so much pain from pumping 10 times a day. I am considering explant now as i want to have more children and wondering if it will help with me being able to breastfeed. Since it seems i can make adequate milk and the issue i think was that my breast was hard when it filled with milk.

Breast feeding and implants

+2

Only about 45% of women can adequately breast feed through baby's first 3 months of age. Having implants in general does not effect the ability to breast feed.  Yes, it is a known complication that breast augmentation can lessen your ability to breast feed but most surgeons would consider that a rare complication.  Removing the implants would likely have little to no effect on you ability to breast feed.

Removal of Breast Implants and Ability to Breast Feed?

+2

No, I do not think that it is realistic to believe that removal of your breast implants will necessarily “help you be able to breast-feed”. Your ability to breast-feed will likely be very similar to what you experienced in the past.

Breastfeeding After Explant?

+1

Thank you for your question. Many women breast feed with implants, and have no issues with latching. You should see a good instructor who works with breastfeeding issues. This is not an uncommon problem and with some good instruction, usually breastfeeding occurs. See a local dietician or other groups like WIC who work with breastfeeding or a specialist from the hospital.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding After Explant?

+1

It is hard to imagine why an explantation would alter the possibility of nursing. I would suggest a call to La Leche League. They are passionate about breast feeding, and often can help women nurse who have had issues in the past. 

Explantation breast implant

+1

Just to be on the safe side the explantation should be done through an inframammary incision.

There is less interferance with breast tissue than going through the periareolar incision

Breastfeeding After Explant?

+1

There should be no problem breast feeding after implant removal if there was no problem before

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and implant removal

+1

I doubt that removing the implants will make any difference for you in terms of lactation and discomfort.  All the best.