Is It Possible to Breastfeed After Breast Lift Surgery?

I have successfully breastfed 4 children in the past. Two years ago I had a breast lift and augmentation. Now, I am unexpectedly expecting and would love to be able to breast feed this new baby. What are my chances?

Breast Feeding After Breast Lift

+2

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

There is every reason to expect your breast will respond normally to pregnancy.

There is a small chance you may not be successful with attempts to nurse your baby, but you certainly should try: you will most likely be successful.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after breast lift with implants is possible

+2

While we don't have exact numbers to give you, I can certainly say that many women are able to breastfeed after having an augmentation and breast lift done.  You should definitely try to breastfeed, since it's something you want to do.  You may find it works just fine!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breastfeeding after breast lift

+2

It is often possible for patients who have undergone either breast lift alone or in combination with augmentation to breast lift after subsequent pregnancy. Some of the factors which will affect your chances of breastfeeding are placement of incisions on the breasts, amount of dissection, preservation of nipple ducts and formation of scar tissue after surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast-feeding after breast lift surgery

+2

It is possible to breast-feed after breast lift surgery. As the surgery will rearrange your breast tissue, you may produce less milk than if you have not had the surgery in the first place. Discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal experience in breast lift surgery. They may be able to modify their surgical technique to preserve as much of your central breast mound and keep intact as possible so as not to disturb the production of milk in this area.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast feeding after breast lift surgery

+2

It is difficult to predict how successful you will be in breast feeding your next child.  Some of the ductal tissue may have been divided during your previous surgery. However, that does not mean that you may not be able to breast feed at all. You just may have to supplement.

Breast feeding after breast lift

+2

The answer is simple. Yes, it is possible. It may even be probable. But you won't know for sure until you try. Many women have successsfully breast fed after these procedures, but for you as an individual, you won't know until you try. Congratulations on your family.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

You could have high chance of breastfeeding after lift

+2

There is a good chance that you could breast feed after your surgery. As mentioned before the technique used during surgery and how much breast dissection was done are key issues. I would not worry much about it, time will tell.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

You have a good chance of breast feeding

+2

You have a good chance of breast feeding. However, there are many factors that you have to consider. First, it depends on the type of life you had. Second, it also depends on the tissue that was removed. However, if most cases, patient are still able to breast feed without a problem. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Nursing and lactation after augmentation mastopexy

+2

It very much depends on the technique used. However, in the vast majority of cases, you should be capable of lactation and nursing. Many feel that there are strong benefits to nursing your child and you should proceed if this is your wish.

However, there are a couple of issues which you may want to take into consideration:

1) Depending on how large and how long you nurse you may become, you may develop recurrent sagging (ptosis). You may need to be prepared to have another lift.

2) There are some anecdotal reports, that nursing can increase the incidence of bactierial colonization and/or the biofilm which has been linked to capsular contracture. This is by no means proven but may factor into your decision.