Can I Breastfeed After Botox?

I had Botox injected between my brows. I was told it was safe as long as I was not pregnant. After the injections, the doctor realized I have a newborn, asked if I was nursing. He told me he would not have treated me had he known. He informed me it was highly unlikely that it would enter my bloodstream so probably would not enter my breast milk. I am so nervous now and have not nursed for 3 days. Will I be able to resume?

Avoid Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding

+1

There are no studies that I know of evaluating the safety of Botox Cosmetic when used in pregnant or breast-feeding women.  I would avoid Botox until after a patient is pregant or breast-feeding.

Botox and pregnancy

+1

Botox is not recommended in pregnant or nursing women.  it is unlikely that it would be passed to the fetus or newborn, but I have not seen any studies on this and I would not perform this procedure on these individuals.

Breastfeeding after Botox

+1

There are no studies that say not to breast feed after Botox, but I would caution on the side of the infants safety. Why take the risk for a short amount of breast feeding time. The average length of breast feeding in the US is 6 months. So wait it out.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Botox in a nursing mother

+1

There have been no reports that I am aware of that demonstrate problems from Botox in infants that were breastfed by mothers who had Botox treatment, but the company, Allergan, did not test for this, nor would they make a claim as to the safety. Check with your pediatrician if they have any recommendations.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox should not be used in pregnant or breast feeding women

+1

Although a complication is unlikely, I would not recommend using Botox in any patient that is pregnant or breast feeding. The manufacturer , to my knowledge, has not done testing in this population of patients and also view this as a contraindication.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox should NOT be used in Pregnant or Nursing Women

+1

Per Allergan, the producer of Botox, it should NOT be used in pregnant or nursing women. While the scientific evidence has shown the Botox bonds immediately to the muscle nerve receptors and does NOT migrate the drug was not tested in pregnant or nursing women and as such it was never approved for this indication.

It is extremely unlikely that you or your child suffered any harm as result of your miscommunication with your doctor. To find out more I would suggest you speak with your doctor and call the Allergan help line.