Worried About Breast Lift Scarring

i am having the uplift next week and would like to see the different stages of scarring. I have seen some photo's but they never say 1 week post op, 2 weeks post op etc and I would like to see the diiferent stages of how the scars will progess with time. I am also worried about how I will feel after as I have only taken one week off work, will this be enough or will I still be in lots of pain?

Scarring stages

All scars will go through a variety of stages. I always warn our patients and their signifcant others that early in the healing process the scars will not look pretty. Then as they mature they tend to get red and prominent. Finally as scar maturation occurs the scars begin to turn white and much less noticeable. Over time, with the patients improved shape and self confidence, the scars become quite an acceptable alternative.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

The extent of your scar is more dependant on your skin color than the surgeon

Patients who are typical Brits and are fair tend to do best regarding scar.

On the other hand, patients with more pigment tend to make thicker scars that either take longer to resolve or are always quite visible..

The amount of time needed off of work depends on the work you do.  If you do office work with little lifting you can easily go back to work at the end of a week after most styles of lift.  However if you are very active than two weeks of restricted work many be needed.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

If you are worried about breast Scars then please note that there are ways to minimize them. Best Scar Management Practices

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar. This minimizes the stress that can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected. Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments to treat or prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Lifting Scarring?

Although patient's concerns regarding scars are very understandable I would suggest that their first concern should be obtaining the best results possible (scarring concerns should be secondary).  Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

Scars tend to be pink/purple for several months after surgery and tend to improve on a yearly basis.

Breast Lift Scars

Every patient heals differently.  The scars may seem very prominent to you at first,  but they will change and fade over time. The extent to which they fade will vary from patient to patient. You may want to contact your board certified plastic surgeon's office and ask to view some photos.  Most of my patients take one week off and do fine unless they have a physically demanding job. If this is the case, discuss your individual concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes! 

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post-op scarring after a breast lift

Boy wouldn't that be great to show the progressionof the scars.  I have some of those in my office but do not display them on the website because most patients do not let me post their photos, but will often allow me to show them to individual patients.  Interesting I find that the patients who want to see alot of photos are often the same ones who will not let me post theirs!  In general, the scars in most patients do fade over time but it can take up to a year.  The scars are permanent.  They do not disappear.

Scarring and post operative course after a breast lift

Breast lifts are usually a day surgery, not very painful and you should be able to return to work in 1 week if your work requires minimal lifting or stress.  The breast lift scars should be well camouflaged around the areolar, in the fold below the breast with the only one being harder to hide is the scar from the fold below the breast up to the bottom of the areolar.  If closed meticulously and with all buried sutures these thin lines heal well.  As different skinned people scar differently, you should check several websites to see before and after photos.  Many contain the time after surgery the post operative photo was taken and this may help you understand the natural progression as scars mature.  That said, over time nearly all scars get better and fade.