Worried About Breast Lift Scarring

i am having the uplift next week and would like to see the different stages of scarring. I have seen some photo's but they never say 1 week post op, 2 weeks post op etc and I would like to see the diiferent stages of how the scars will progess with time. I am also worried about how I will feel after as I have only taken one week off work, will this be enough or will I still be in lots of pain?

Scarring and post operative course after a breast lift

+2

Breast lifts are usually a day surgery, not very painful and you should be able to return to work in 1 week if your work requires minimal lifting or stress.  The breast lift scars should be well camouflaged around the areolar, in the fold below the breast with the only one being harder to hide is the scar from the fold below the breast up to the bottom of the areolar.  If closed meticulously and with all buried sutures these thin lines heal well.  As different skinned people scar differently, you should check several websites to see before and after photos.  Many contain the time after surgery the post operative photo was taken and this may help you understand the natural progression as scars mature.  That said, over time nearly all scars get better and fade.

Scarring stages

+2

All scars will go through a variety of stages. I always warn our patients and their signifcant others that early in the healing process the scars will not look pretty. Then as they mature they tend to get red and prominent. Finally as scar maturation occurs the scars begin to turn white and much less noticeable. Over time, with the patients improved shape and self confidence, the scars become quite an acceptable alternative.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

The extent of your scar is more dependant on your skin color than the surgeon

+2

Patients who are typical Brits and are fair tend to do best regarding scar.

On the other hand, patients with more pigment tend to make thicker scars that either take longer to resolve or are always quite visible..

The amount of time needed off of work depends on the work you do.  If you do office work with little lifting you can easily go back to work at the end of a week after most styles of lift.  However if you are very active than two weeks of restricted work many be needed.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting Scarring?

+1

Although patient's concerns regarding scars are very understandable I would suggest that their first concern should be obtaining the best results possible (scarring concerns should be secondary).  Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

Scars tend to be pink/purple for several months after surgery and tend to improve on a yearly basis.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLift.htm

Breast Lift Scars

+1

Every patient heals differently.  The scars may seem very prominent to you at first,  but they will change and fade over time. The extent to which they fade will vary from patient to patient. You may want to contact your board certified plastic surgeon's office and ask to view some photos.  Most of my patients take one week off and do fine unless they have a physically demanding job. If this is the case, discuss your individual concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes! 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post-op scarring after a breast lift

+1

Boy wouldn't that be great to show the progressionof the scars.  I have some of those in my office but do not display them on the website because most patients do not let me post their photos, but will often allow me to show them to individual patients.  Interesting I find that the patients who want to see alot of photos are often the same ones who will not let me post theirs!  In general, the scars in most patients do fade over time but it can take up to a year.  The scars are permanent.  They do not disappear.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.