Breast Uneven and Very Depressing

Ok i had uneven breast b4 i got my BA my left was smaller so my PS put 40cc extra in it.. he told me in my preop that it would be aobut 15-20cc.. then after surgery i was informed he put 40cc..i think this was WAY to much.. and now my left is BIGGER.it was smaller b4 surgery. I'm 18 days post op today. i feel like i paid $4000 to have big uneven boobs when i could of had small uneven boobs for free.. My ps said its swelling. I dont think its just swelling i think there always going to be like this..

18 days after Breast Augmentation Is Too Early To Judge Size

+3

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry that you are distressed.  You may in fact have swelling this early after surgery and swelling may partially explain the asymmetry that you have.  In the next month or 2 swelling will decrease and the implants, especially the one on the left hopefully will drop and cause more fullness beneath the nipple than above the nipple.

Continue to see your plastic surgeon for follow-up and express your concerns.  Ask the doctor if breast implant displacement exercises will help lower the left implant into the pocket.

Uneven Breasts after Breast Augmentation

+3

I am sorry you are going through this, but this is not an uncommon problem.

Most important: give yourself and Mother Nature some more time! As time goes by, the problem you now see, may correct itself.

It is normal - in fact, it is usual to see some asymmetry during the first few weeks after breast augmentation surgery.

Please understand that you are still very early after your surgery and there is a lot of healing yet to occur. The skin and muscle need time to stretch and grow after the surgery.

The healing of the two breasts do not occur at the same pace. One breast may be a little higher and tighter than the other. One breast may "drop" into position a little sooner. A higher, tighter breast looks bigger, but looks better after it has softened and relaxed. (Your left breast appears a little higher and tighter in the photo).

Communicate your concerns to your plastic surgeon. It is important for your surgeon to be aware of your concerns and address them for you.

You need and deserve support during this challenging time: you didn't just pay for a surgery, you also payed for post-operative care and support. Give your surgeon the chance to give you that support and guidance.

You chose your surgeon because you felt confidence in his/her surgical competence and trusted his/her ability to support you through this important event. Don't abandon that trust during this challenging time.

If you need more perspective to feel you are on the right track, get a second opinion from another respected plastic surgeon. A good doctor will always welcome a second opinion and will never be threatened or offended by it!  

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after augmentation

+3

Thank you for your question - I'm sorry you're having issues. You raised a very complicated issue. First and foremost it is entirely too early to know what the final breast shape will be at 18 days post-op.

I know it can be difficult but try to give yourself at least three months. Things that you can do to pass the time that will help in the event you do need a revision include taking a picture of yourself once a week to demonstrate the changes that occur in the shape of your breasts as the swelling comes down. This can give your surgeon valuable information about what your breasts are doing as the healing process continues.

In addition - try to keep the pictures as standardized as possible (even small details count when analyzing symmetry - for example in the picture you have posted your left shoulder is slightly higher than your right). In terms of what I can see in your photo it does seem like the left breast has more volume than the right. However the difference between 20 and 40cc is almost undetectable even in very experienced hands. (I wrote a paper analyzing plastic surgeon sensitivity to implant size which illustrated the difficulty of detecting small changes in volume).

Things that strongly influence symmetry pre-op: chest wall shape breast mass nipple position difference in ptosis (sagging) position of inframammary fold Things that strongly influence symmetry post-op (and things that your surgeon can use to improve symmetry between the breasts): implant size implant shape implant position pocket size and shape Things that are difficult to change with implants alone include: asymmetry in position of the nipple asymmetry of the breast fold I know it can be hard but don't despair, the shape will continue to evolve over time and your asymmetry may most certainly be due to swelling. I hope this helps.

Steven H. Williams, MD

The difference in the photos is more than 40 cc's

+2

Early on, you are still swollen from the surgery. The left side looks more swollen and may even have fluid around the implant. The visible difference between 20 and 40 cc's of overfilling is much less than the difference in your photos. The crease on your left also looks a bit higher than the right and this will make the upper pole look fuller. For now, stay close to your doctor, and follow instructions about massage. Maybe consider an ultrasound to evaluate the left side for a seroma or fluid collection around the implant. Don't consider doing any revisions for 3 months because by then you might not need any.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Uneven breast augmentation results

+2

If your left was really smaller to begin with and the difference added was only 40 cc's, it could very well be swelling. 40 cc's is not a big difference to begin with.  Right now, all you can do is wait it out a bit and see how things look after the swelling subsides and the breasts soften.

Few facts

+2

Hello ,you should not feel bad that early after surgery.

Few facts about your surgery:

1-You are still in your third week and more swelling could still be present.

2-The left side is slightly higher and this could give more upper pole fullness. Massage in this stage could help to adjust the position.

3-The difference between 20 and 40cc will never give this picture.

I would wait for few more weeks and following this if you still got volume difference you might need a small revision.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Wait three to four months

+1
It's unfortunate you feel bad about your results. Please note that you are still early on on your recovery and the final results of your surgery haven't appeared yet. It usually takes about three to four months for your breasts to settle and take on a more natural contour. At that time you should have a better idea of your results. Best of luck. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Uneven Breast after Breast Augmentation

+1

18 days post a breast augmentation is too soon to tell whether or not one implant is bigger or smaller than the other. Your breast still need a few more months to settle & a couple more weeks for the swelling to go down. Remember that the human anatomy will not heal completely the same at the same time. One side of your body is different from the other. One side might swell more or one side might drop & settle faster than the other. Just let time pass before feeling insecure.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast Asymmetry in Postoperative Period is Very Common

+1

Breast asymmetry in the immediate postoperative period is extremely common. This is usually related to soft tissue swelling and fluid collections around the implant. This can create enough distortion to make the breasts look uneven.
In an effort to minimize this type of problem, surgeons utilize postoperative compression. Usually with time, swelling resolves and most patients are happy.
In patients who start out with asymmetry, symmetry may not always be attainable. This may be due to underlying chest wall deformities, asymmetry of the nipple areola, or unilateral breast sag.
In the majority of patients as swelling disappears, asymmetry also disappears. In a small percentage of patients, malposition of the implants persists and secondary procedures may be necessary. Occasionally, the volume of the implant may require adjustment as well.
When this type of situation arises, it’s important to have good communication with your plastic surgeon. Remember it’s normal to have anxiety following surgery when things don’t seem to be going well. Your plastic surgeon has been there before and will get you through the experience.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Uneven and Very Depressing

+1

There is an amount of time required for breast implants to” settle in”. there may be some asymmetry and irregularities in the first month or so but this should not discourage you.  Please have patience and follow up with your surgeon.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon