Breast Very Uneven After Augmentation

I have had Mentor silicone gels placed, submuscularly exactly 4 weeks ago. I am 4'11" and 97 lbs.,very petite frame. My PS recommended a small silicone implant, so I had 250cc implant placed on both sides. I am right-handed, and my right breast was always a little smaller than left breast. At 4 weeks post-op, I am very worried because my left breast is fuller, slightly more swelling; my right breast is a little higher and firmer, but smaller. Will my breasts even out in time?

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+3

It is important to recognize that there are slight size and shape asymmetries between each women's breast before having breast augmentation, and there will always be slight differences afterwards as well.  With that being said, at 4 weeks after breast augmentation what you describe is a very normal scenario.  One muscle may be thicker and more developed (usually the right side if you are right-handed) and usually one implant "falls" into place sooner than the other side.  I recommend to my patients to increase the frequency and duration of the implant massages on the tight side and to be patient. Sometimes it can takes 6 to 8 weeks for the implants to completely settle into place.  I don't make any decisions until 3 months.  If at three months there is a malposition of the implant or capsular contraction, then I consider revision; however, this is rarely necessary so in all likelihood it wont be in your case either. Be patient and do your massages! 

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Breast Asymmetry Early After Breast Augmentation

+2

You are still in the early phase of healing. You stated that your breasts were asymmetric preoperatively. If the same size implants were placed then expect to be asymmetric after surgery. In someways the asymmetry is more evident because 1) the breasts are larger and 2) women look at their breasts more after augmentation and notice differences they may not have before surgery.

hat being said, two things you mentioned I feel need to be looked at more carefully. 1) Your right breast is firmer and 2) Your right breast is higher. Now this could still be a part of normal healing, but could also be the early signs of capsular contracture. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon so you can be examined.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Asymmetric breasts after breast augmentation

+2

It is way to soon to assess the results of your surgery. If there was right left asymmetry before surgery and the exact same surgery was performed on the 2 sides there is no way the result could be symmetric. These issues should be discussed with your surgeon before surgery not after surgery with surgeons who have never seen you or a photo of you and have never examined you. This is not a logical approach.

Furthermore if you are petite the main issue is breast implant base diameter rather than actual implant volume. You can have the same volume with different base diameters and front to back projections. You need to first pick an implant whose base diameter will fit and then decide on the available implant volumes with those specifications. Again this should be done before surgery not afterward. If you place too large a breast implant base diameter for the patient's rib cage frame the breast contour can be squared off instead of a smooth curve, the risk of inframammary crease disruption increases, the risk of symmastia (unibreast) increases etc.

Aaron Stone, MD

Asymmetrical breasts 4 weeks post op.

+2

It takes a few months in some cases for the swelling to go down all of the way.  If you started with uneven breasts and the same size implants were placed without reducing the size of the bigger breast, you can expect the breasts to be asymmetrical after the swelling is gone.  Asymmetrical breasts are very common as 2 sides of the body are not identical.

Breast Implants CANNOT turn asymmetrical "Sisters" into "Twins"

+2

Regarding: "Breast Very Uneven After Augmentation
I have had Mentor silicone gels placed, submuscularly exactly 4 weeks ago. I am 4'11" and 97 lbs.,very petite frame. My PS recommended a small silicone implant, so I had 250cc implant placed on both sides. I am right-handed, and my right breast was always a little smaller than left breast. At 4 weeks post-op, I am very worried because my left breast is fuller, slightly more swelling; my right breast is a little higher and firmer, but smaller. Will my breasts even out in time
?"

Breast and facial asymmetry is the rule NOT the exception. It is a true exception for a woman to have exactly the same sized breasts on the mirror image location on her chest. More often than not the breasts are different and the degree of asymmetry varies from subtle to extreme. As Plastic surgeons we may be able to decrease the asymmetry but not always completely correct it.

In your case, silicone gel implants were probably used because they are more natural feeling, lighter and ripple less than saline implants. Since all breast implants ripple and therefore require adequate cover by your soft tissue coverage using saline breast implants in flat women who do not have enough breast tissue coverages results in artificial looking breasts with ripples. Hence the use of silicone gel implants. BUT - silicone implants come prefilled and as a result when the SAME volume implants are placed into different sized breasts the asymmetry is NOT corrected, if anything, it becomes more obvious as the breasts move farther from the chest. It would be illogical of you to expect breast symmetry if you started with breast asymmetry and had the same volume implants placed.

But - at barely a month after surgery it is not a time to start worrying about the size of your breasts. I think massaging is in order and you should follow with your surgeon as to what he would recommend. In a few months the result will be significantly better but unlikely to be perfectly symmetrical.

Dr. Perter Aldea

Breast Very Uneven After Augmentation

+2

I'm sorry that very few of the posters are addressing your issues. If you were asymmetric prior to the operation and used the same cc amounts than ofcourse you will be more noticeable asymmetric after the operation. But you could have posted a frontal photo for us to see. To me you need a revision. From MIAMI DR. darryl j. Blinski

Breast augmentation

+2

As previously stated by everyone else, it is still a little early to determine final size, position and shape.  We often see that patient's previous asymmetry is either unnoticed or the degree of asymmetry is not appreciated.  This quickly changes after an operation.  Give them some time and discuss your concerns with your PS.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Takes about 3 months before you can decide

+2

After a submuscular breast augmentation it usually takes about 3 months for the muscle to accomodate having the implant in place.  As hard as it is try and be patient before making any decisions about further surgery.  Things usually will equalize with time.

Good Luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after breast augmentation

+2

If you had volume asymmetry before surgery, and the same size implants were used, you will still have volume asymmetry- this will not change over time. The issues about firmness difference and upper pole fullness difference may resolve over time, but there may be things that you can do to assist in this, such as a breast strap but without pictures, it it difficult to say.  You really should discuss this with your operating surgeon and get his/her advise.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Uneven four weeks after breast implants

+2

It may be too early to tell about unevenness just four weeks after breast augmentation. The asymmetry can be caused by the differences in the breast beforehand, though Ideally the right implant should be softer and set down like the implant on the left. If the left is problem free, without bruise or tenderness, it may be time to focus attention on the right with massage over the top of the breast to encourage expansion of the lower pocket, and perhaps a band at night to supply gentle pressure. Talk to your surgeon and set up a plan. It is very hard to just sit and wait.

peterejohnsonmd