My Breast Are Unequal?

I am a 20 year old girl and my left boob is about a C36 and my right is about half the size.I have constant back and chest pain.I wish to have them fixed to a B cup and was wondering what is the process I must go through and how much I would have to save?

Fix Unequal Breasts with Lift and Reduction on Left Side Only

Thank you for your question. Your right breast looks very normal and my own view is to avoid scarring on the normal breast unless you simply want the right breast smaller.

A well done mastopexy-reduction on the left breast should give you symmetry.

Reduction and lift of the left side

If you are happy with the right breast ,I would recommend left reduction and lift. The other option is to do lift on the right side and lift/reduction left side.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry is corrected with lollipop scars.

1)  You look like a pretty easy case.  You need a lift of your right breast and a reduction of your left breast.  You could leave the right breast alone, but symmetry is better when both breasts are operated on.

2)  All the surgery is done through lollipop scars.  You do not need the old fashioned "anchor" scar.

3)  The most important point is to use the right technique (either Lejour or Hall-Findlay).  You want to reduce and lift and shape the breasts INTERNALLY, without relying on pulling the skin to create shape.  Skin stretches, and any operation that relies on skin will not give you a good long term result.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Treating unequal breasts

Your breasts are obviously asymmetrical and you have 2 choices for surgery.  One would be to lift and reduce the larger one to better match the smaller one.  The other is to reduce and lift both.  I would't think they are heavy enough to cause all your symptoms so I would caution you about going too small because I have recently had to augment 2 patients whom other doctors had over reduced at age 20, maybe 15-20 years earlier.

Breast asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction or a traditional breast reduction technique
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
4) A lift procedure may also be needed to help address differences in shape, nipple position and areolar size.
I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Treatments For Asymmetry

Breast asymmetry is an extremely common problem amongst women.In most cases, this is relatively minor and women aren’t bothered by it.Occasionally, it can be severe and treatment is necessary.
A multitude of options can be used to treat this problem.These may include breast reduction, breast lift, breast augmentation, or various combinations of these procedures.
It’s important to realize that every patient is unique.They have specific aesthetic goals and unique anatomic findings.The specific treatment for any individual patient will depend entirely upon these issues.
In your case you appear to have unilateral left sided breast hypertrophy and right sided breast sag.Under these circumstances a unilateral breast reduction may be necessary.Occasionally, it’s necessary to perform a procedure on the opposite breast for symmetry.These might include a lesser breast reduction, breast lift, breast augmentation or a breast lift in combination with breast augmentation.In your case, it would appear that a breast lift would be adequate.
Every patient needs to be considered individually.The treatment plan should be appropriate for their anatomy and aesthetic goals.If you’re considering correction of breast asymmetry, it’s important to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon.He can help determine which option is best for you.

Unequal breasts

You can have an implant in the smaller breast to balance them out or a reduction in the larger one. Depending on the surgery you choose, it can be just a couple thousand dollars, up to about $8000. Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon for more advice.

Breast Reduction in left breast to achieve better symmetry

If you would like to reduce your larger left one to balance out with your smaller right one, you can consider getting a breast reduction and lift. This can be done on the left one alone to give you better symmetry in both size and shape. 

Treatment of breast asymmetry

There three choices: enlargement of the smaller breast, reduction of the larger breast or an augment/lift. Which option you select will be a personal one depending on whether you prefer the larger or smaller breast. My patients with similar conditions have complained about back pain, too. Sometimes, the reduction of the larger size will be covered by health issuance but this would usually require a minimum gram resection. Once you select an option, a plastic surgeon will be able to estimate the cost of surgical correction. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction

Based on your request you would achieve your goal with breast reduction (which includes a lift) of your larger breast to match the smaller breast.  Don't choose based on price, but rather quality of work and this you can tell by looking at the the before/after photos of breast reduction and also cases similar to yours.

Andre Aboolian, MD