Do You Have to Have Breast Tissue Removed when Getting a Breast Lift?

i went to a consultation in Austin Texas for a breast lift only and wanted an idea of how small my breast would be after. i have a small c right now and am comfortable with the amount of tissue i already have. the doctor i saw told me i would probably have an A because he has to remove a small amount of tissue to do a lift.

Breast Lift does not necessarily remove tissue

+1

Hi there-

A well-done breast lift does not remove breast tissue, but only skin. 

It is true that removal of this excess and sagging skin does in some cases cause the perception of the breast size to decrease, but not usually in a significant manner.  

Breast lift

+1

Very little to no breast tissue is removed during a traditional breast lift.  Excess skin is removed and the breast is reshaped.  Some women perceive that their breasts are smaller simply because the breast looks more compact since the excess skin is removed.  The amount of breast tissue stays essentially the same.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts do not really diminish breast size

+1

unless you specifically want tissue removed.  A traditional breast lift removes paper thin skin and that is all so you should be using the same bra.  There are different techniques to achieve a lift and I am a proponent of the autoaugmentation technique as risks for bottoming out are diminished and you do get more fullness on top.  Inferior pedicle techniques have a much higher risk for bottoming out. 

If you really want a lot of fullness on top and don't want to be larger, you may consider a reduction with implant augmentation but realize your native breast volume will be diminished and if you need your implants removed, you will be smaller. 

You should discuss all of your alternatives with your chosen surgeon and make an informed choice as what would work best for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Removing breast tissue during a breast lift

+1

I would agree with the responses here that a breast lift can be done without removing any breast tissue but in my experience using an inferior glandular pedicle for the lift (and removing usually only a bit of skin and some fat along the inframammary crease), the breast looks larger when it's lifted, not smaller. It doesn't actually change volume and the skin/tissues are not tightened. The effect is similar to taking a saggy breast and getting it all up into a bra at a higher level. It looks larger. It's similar to the illusion that a breast gets lifted when an implant is placed behind it. If the lower pole is filled out by the implant, the nipple-areola looks higher even though it's not in relation to the chest wall. If the entire volume of the breast is moved up on the chest wall (and the skin adjusted to accommodate it like a dart in clothing), then it will look bigger even though the volume didn't change. The idea is to get a bra effect without the bra.

Certainly there is no reason to need to reduce the size of a breast for a lift procedure.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

A breast lift can be done without removing any breast tissue and without adding an implant.  It all depends on the technique used and the amount of breast tissue you have to begin with.  However, whena breast is,lifted it seems smaller even if no tissue is removed because the breast has been made more compact by the lift.  Ask your surgeon to see  photos of patients similar to you to get an idea of how large you would be.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast lift and final volume

+1

Depending upon the technique used and depending on how the breasts look before surgery will determine what the possible size will be after srugery. In most cases, just skin is removed and a small amount of tissue to properly shape the breast.  An exam would be helpful to determine what you would need.  Good luck.

Breast Lift and Tissue Removal?

+1

Yes, it is possible to do a breast lift  and remove skin only. Of course, much will depend on each patient's individual anatomy and goals. I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with a carefully selected plastic surgeon.   The use of cup size during this  communication process can be confusing/misleading.  However, communicating your goals (I  prefer the use of goal pictures) will be very important in allowing your plastic surgeon to guide you  in determining whether breast lifting alone will be sufficient to meet your goals.

Breast tissue removal with lift

+1

A breast lift can be done with skin removal only and rearrangement of the breast tissue itself.  The breast may appear smaller with a lift though since the same volume of breast is confined in a smaller skin envelope.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

You do NOT need to be smaller, just tighter and perkier.

+1

If you truly have C-cup volume now, I'm not sure why the doctor you consulted with told you that you had to lose 2 cup sizes, as it is totally untrue. When I have a breast lift patient whose breasts are the size she likes, I remove only 15 - 30 grams of tissue per side (the skin needed to be removed to provide a more tailored and youthful "skin brassiere"). This is 1/2 to 1 ounce, skin only. This leaves all her native breast tissue intact except for that tiny amount of skin. No change in size, only "perkiness."

Of course, more tissue may be removed if the patient desires a small reduction--the pattern and incisions are the same; only the amount of tissue removed varies between patients.

I hate to sound overly dogmatic, but unless there is volume asymmetry and more tissue must be removed from the (larger) side to improve symmetry, you CAN retain your full C cup volume--you may just need to see one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and have your surgery elsewhere. C to A is simply not necessary. Take a look at several of my breast lift patients by clicking on the web reference link below--they did not go smaller unless they wanted to. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Do You Have to Have Breast Tissue Removed when Getting a Breast Lift

+1

The amount of tissue removed for a standard breast lift is trivial--about a tablespoon in volume from each side. 

But, the breast may look smaller anyway. Stand if front of a mirror and raise one arm overhead, then switch arms. Most women will notice that the lifted breast looks up to a cup size smaller. In a bra there would be no change, but often the sagging breast looks bigger than it really is. 

By the way, the amount of tissue removal to go down one and one-half cup sizes is about 300 cc. If you look at a  300 cc implant with your surgeon, I don't think he/she would say that is the amount coming out with a lift. It is never a bad idea to seek another in person consultation for another opinion. 

Thanks for your question. Best wishes.