Does Breast Tissue Continue to Expand Post Expansion?

I feel as though my temps are getting bigger and wonder if anyone has had this experience? Had a bilateral mastectomy five months ago and final expansion three weeks ago. Since then I have noticed my bras all same size and designer getting tighter and tighter.

Breast Reconstruction

+1

Your breast should not continue to expand. If you feel you are getting bigger then see your plastic surgeon ASAP

Expanders and inflation

+1

If expanders have not recently been inflated, they should not feel like they have enlarged unless a seroma is around the expander and is expanding.

Tissue Expanders expand / create Skin to allow implant placement

+1

A mastectomy removes all the breast glandular tissue. Some mastectomies remove all the breast tissue but leave the breast skin (IE skin sparing mastectomy)  making reconstruction with either implants or your own tissue filling the skin much easier. Other mastectomies such as yours remove much of the breast skin and the breast gland. This makes it impossible to place a full implant and complete the reconstruction. Instead, a deflated tissue expander is placed which progressively stretches and generates breast skin allowing the substitution of the expander with the implant. BUT - the expander is NOT under breast gland and does not expand that. Doing so would have gone against the logic of removing breast tissue which may have cancer cells.

For this reason, expanded breasts depend on the volume of the expander or of the implant for their size.

The breast will not expand without more expander inflation

+1

Your breasts will not expand more after the expansion. During the expansion the expander is filled with certain amount of saline and it will not get bigger. The tissue may soften later after the expansion. Your breast may get bigger if you had any weight gain.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon