Breast Swelling Due to PMS Coinciding with Surgery. Will This Effect the Operation?

Greetings and thank you all for this wonderful service. I am scheduled to undergo breast reduction surgery next week and have realized that this date will coincide with the week of the month that my breasts gain nearly a cup size due to PMS. In your opinion, will this make any difference in the outcome of the operation?

+1

Some surgeons will not perform breast surgery during the period of one’s menstrual cycle.  I take this on a case by case basis, in communication with the patient, before making a firm decision.

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Timing in Relation to Menstrual Cycle?

+1

Generally speaking, timing breast surgery in relation to the menstrual cycle is not an important consideration. However, given that you have specific concerns about considerable breast size increase during your cycle,  you may want to plan the operation so that your breasts are in their “baseline” state at the time of surgery. Doing so may remove a variable for your plastic surgeon.

PMS swelling should not affect breast reduction

+1

After 30 years of practice and hundreds of breast reductions, breast swelling due to PMS just does not seem to be an issue. If you are concerned that after the reduction and relief from swelling your breast might be too small, let your surgeon in on it, though with breast reduction, too small after is a rare situation.

Breast reduction and pms

+1

If you know that you increase a cup size with your cycle I would recommend waiting until your breast size is at a more normal level. If is means waiting a week or two, it would be worth it. Please discuss this with your surgeon.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon