Worried About Drainage and Spitting Stitches Post Breast Surgery

On 11/9/11 I had surgery on my breasts due to a congenital deformity. I had a reduction on the right breast and a silicone implant placed in the left breast. I have had yellow/pus drainage from the incisions from both breasts for about 2 weeks. I have just finished a 7 day course of Keflex and show no improvement. I've also been spitting sutures and am not sure if the drainage is due to this, or if I have a major infection that will require my implant be removed, as the Keflex did not work.

Spitting sutures after surgery

+1

This is difficult to evaluate without an exam.  Spitting sutures can happen and can cause local irritation.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Spitting stitches after breast surgeyr

+1

The drainage along with spitting stiches suggests that you are having a localized reaction to the sutures. Some sutures are more commonly associated with this problem. It usually subsides but at times the stiches have to be removed. You should be followed up with your plastic surgeon

George Lefkovits, MD

Suture infection after breast surgery.

+1

It sounds like you are having small suture infections along the incision line.  This is not expected, but can happen.  The best course is to follow this closely with your plastic surgeon and he/she may need to carefully open these areas.  They should be able to easily assess and reassure you if you are just having this superficial type infection.

Dustin L. Reid, MD