Large Areolas and Droopy Nipples. What Breast Surgery Do I Need?

I am uncomfortable & embarrassed of my breasts b/c of my big aereolas, and I would like my nipples to be higher up. Im wondering if I need just aerola reduction, or if I need a lift and/or implant too. What do you think? The first 2 photos are me, and the last 2 photos are what I want my breats to look like (natural). What do I need to do to get to my goal breasts? Thank you!!

Breast Lift or Not?

+7

It is common to compare ourselves to others, as you are doing.

Your two photos do not suggest that you are as "bad" as you feel.

I would advise giving surgery plenty of thought as any areolar or other type of breast lift will create scars that you may end up being more unhappy with.

Large Areolas

+6

Dear Hanna G,

I will begin by telling you that what you perceive as a source of embarrassment - ie. your areola, are not that unusual or large.  I would suggest you think long and hard before pursuing surgery, as the scars from any suggested surgeries may result in poorer cosmesis.

Nonetheless, if you really wanted to have surgery, an areolar reduction with a peri-areolar mastopexy technique could be used.  The downside of this technique is that it may make your breast appear more boxy.  In addition, the scar around your areola may widen with time.  

Speak with one or two experienced plastic surgeons in your area and go over the pros and cons of all proposed procedures.  Think about it long and hard - I think your breasts are better off without any intervention at this time.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Smaller areolas

+3

From what you write in your note the size you want to be is similar to where you are now so simply doing a donut mastopexy to make your arelar complexes smaller is all that may be needed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Areolar Reduction

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

In review of your photographs and given consideration of your desired results, I would offer you a vertical mastopexy ( lolli-pop scar breast lift). This will afford you both a breast lift for the moderate ptosis, which your breasts have as well an areolar reduction to a size that is better proportioned to your breasts. I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has ample experience in breast rejuvenation surgery.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Areola reduction, breast lift, or augmentation?

+2
If you are happy with your breast size, there is no need to perform an augmentation with breast implants. Because you have droopy or sagging breast, I recommend a breast lift or mastopexy. I don't think a periareolar lift would be sufficient. A mastopexy would reduce your areolas at the same time.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Areolar reduction and uplift

+1
You can have an areolar reduction and uplift. The trade off is permanent scars and no one can honestly guarantee the quality.

Genevieve MacDonald, MD

Breast Lift Can Help

+1
To be honest, your breasts do not look that bad! You have good volume and fullness that is similar to that of your ideal breasts. However, if you still feel uncomfortable, a minor breast lift with areola reduction can help. Please understand, though, that any surgery will leave you with scars. If this scarring is okay with you, then please talk to a board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Areola reduction

+1
You are a good candidate for a breast lift - your areolae could be reduced at the same time - the type of lift and scars depend on your goals and can better be assessed and discussed in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

That said, you have a very nice size and shape. No reason to be embarrassed. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

A breast lift will address both your concerns

+1
A breast lift procedure lifts droopy nipples (and droopy breasts) and it also allows for the reduction of your areolas.
Based on the pictures of your desired results, you already have the volume and you do not need to add breast implants.
What is important to realize is that although you can lift your nipples and make them smaller, your surgeon will have to work with your existing breasts instead of creating brand new ones to replicate the ones you showed us you like.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

A Donut Mastopexy Can Help Correct Large Areolas, However, It Does Leave Scarring

+1

It’s not unusual for women to have concerns about the aesthetics of their breasts.  These concerns may vary from patient to patient.  What bothers one patient may not necessarily bother another patient.
In your case, you feel that your areolas are larger than they should be.  Although your areolas are slightly larger then average, they would still be considered to be in the normal range.
Correction of large areolas can be accomplished with a variety of procedures.  The most commonly performed procedure is the donut mastopexy.  Unfortunately, this operation leaves a scar at the junction between the areola and the surrounding skin.  Occasionally this scar can spread and become extremely noticeable.  Every surgical procedure has trade offs, in this case a larger areola verses the potential for significant scarring.
In my experience most patients would be more bothered by significant peri-areolar scarring, then your current areola size.  These are questions that only you can answer.  If you are considering surgical correction of your areola size it would be appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon