Can I Get New Implants w/ the Same Periareolar Scar? (Saline to Silicone Exchange)

I had breast surgery last year under muscle, under nipple with saline, if i want to redo will it be under nipple again? im afraid since i dont want more nerve damage as i already cant feel that much and i do want to breast feed one day. i was wondering if i can do it another way for less scarring? and less damage there again thanks!

Implant exchange through the old incision

+2

It is possible to replace your breast implants through the periareolar incision, saline or gel. Sensation should not be affected working through the old scar. Our patients have little problem with breast feeding with the periareolar approach.

peterejohnsonmd

Location of Incision for Breast Revision Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Everything considered I think it would be in your best interest to have the revisionary surgery done through the same (periareolar)  incision.

Implant exchange and periareolar complications

+1
If you are concerned about loss of nipple sensation, the implants can always be inserted via an infra-mammary approach. Although the circumareolar approach can heal beautifully, it does have the risk of loss of nipple sensation. I hope your plastic surgeon discussed all the possible risks and benefits of each surgical approach prior to your initial surgery. Generally, breast incisions heal well and I would focus on the issue of lack of sensation more than the incision, per se. Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Implant Scars

+1

For the reasons mentioned here, I use the original incision whenever possible. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Save yourself more scarring

+1

If you plan to have your implants revised, then you should have it done through the same incision. If you go through the same incision, there is little additional risk of nerve damage or inability to breast feed.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

You can choose your breast augmentation incision

+1

If you want to exchange your implants, you can use the same incision or a new incision.  Just keep in mind that a new incision will leave a new permanent scar. Your best bet for silicone implants is to go through the peri-areolar scar (the one you currently have) or through an inframammary crease incision (one on the underside of your breast in the breast crease).

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Same incision for redo Breast surgery is one of the options.

+1

There are a number of factors to consider with revisional breast surgery. Technically it is often very possible and practical  to use the old scar location to remove the old implants, modify the pocket as needed and replace with a saline or cohesive silicone gel implant. We try not to add scarring to the breast when possible. In some cases, a new scar in the breast fold may be recommended if:

• the replacement implant will be too large to easily travel through the areolar incision.
  • the areolar incision from the first surgery has healed extremely well and you would not be accepting of a scar in the same place that may not heal as well. There is no guarantee that the second time through the area will result in as nice of a scar.
  • You do not want to disturb the nipple and areola further in order to reduce the risk of further loss of sensitivity or lactation function.
  • You and your surgeon may decide to use a highly cohesive or form-stable breast implant that will not easily go through the areolar approach.

Breast surgery scars tend to heal well and become discreet in any of the most common locations used.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Incisions for breast augmentation

+1

The incision choice really depends upon the size of the implants being placed and the size of your areolas( that is, if you want to go back in the same way as before).  If not, an inframammary incision is fine.

Breast implants can be placed through the nipple, under the breast, or through the armpit.

+1

Usually, repeat surgery would be done through the same incision. But if you don't like the scar or the results, you can use another incision.i

Also, if you want to switdh to silicone implants, bigger sizes need bigger scars, which might be best through the crease under the breast.

None of these incisions should affect breast feeding in the future.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Implant exchange through same scar

+1

Hi there-

As my colleagues have mentioned, there should be no reason to necessarily believe that replacing your implants through the same scar would increase your risk for losing more nipple sensation or limit your ability to breast feed.

On the other hand, in my opinion (and especially because you already have lost some sensation), if maintaining maximum sensation and ability to breast feed is important to you, I would use a scar in your crease. There is no doubt that anatomically this approach is less disruptive to the breast ducts and nerves to the nipple.

Hope that helps!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS