Breast Reduction from 38D to A?

I'm 5'5", breasts size 38D. Would I look weird if I got a breast reduction to a size A?

Reductions aren't done to "cup size"

+2

It would be virtually impossible to go down to an A cup without losing all breast shape and form. Usually when a patient needs a reduction, their breasts are wide enough that they never get down to B or A cup sizes. Breast width doesn't change from a reduction. Also, no breast surgery can be done to suit a cup size because there is no standardization of cup sizes.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Reduction - Breast Reduction from 38D to A?

+1

Yes, in my opinion you would (most likely) look weird.  It is, of course, not possible to make an educated comment without being able to examine you or see photos but that is a significant reduction and in order to achieve that you would probably have to have too much tissue removed.  Doing that could increase the risk of poor blood flow to the nipple and areola, potentially impairing the wound healing, and/or lead to a broad, flat shape.  Either of those would probably lead to a suboptimal result.

I would probably advise that you go no smaller than a small C or full B but, again, I'm just speculating in the absence of being able to offer an accurate assessment.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Breast Reduction to Small Cup Size?

+1

Yes, breasts can be reduced to a very small cup size them may even look “disproportionate” to the remainder of your torso.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction from "D" to "A" cup

+1

There are several factors which limit the amount of tissue that may be removed during a breast reduction, including maintaining adequate blood supply to the nipples and achieving aesthetically acceptable breasts after the reduction. Both of these may be compromised by too large of a reduction, such as would be involved in reducing the breasts from a "D" to an "A" cup.

Reduction from a "D" cup to and "A" cup might require amputation and graftin of the nipple.

+1

What you suggest you want is drastic and reduces not only much of the breast but much of the blood supply to the breast that goes with it.  It would be dangerous to the viability of the nipple and your plastic surgeon might consider amputation and grafting the nipple as opposed to allowing it to remain attached to the breast tissue.  There are disadvantages to this as you might imagine.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Going from a D to an A cup?

+1

An A cup is VERY small.  In fact, most women who come into my office with an A cup are requesting breast augmentation.  And going from a D cup to an A cup, I think, would be quite a shock.  Take some photos to your plastic surgeon to show her examples of breasts that you like.  I'll bet they're not truly A cups.  Your surgeon will talk to you about what can reasonably be accomplished--it may not be possible to make you an A cup and still preserve the blood supply to the nipple complex, for instance.  Your surgeon will also work with you to arrive at a final size that makes you happy.

Going from really big to really small can be really tricky

+1

Going way down to an A cup may not be wise.   A fair amount of residual breast tissue is necessary to "carry" the nipple areola complex and protect its nerves and blood supply.  Also, if your chest is broad, your breasts will look funny that small.  And take into consideration your overall build (height, waist, hips, etc).  I've taken a few D cup ladies down to a B but never down to an A even though some would have liked to go smaller.  In my opinion, a weird looking breast with a numb nipple is not a good trade-off for a nicely shaped breast with normal sensation that happens to be a little bigger than what you would have liked. 

Make sure your final breast size matches the rest of your body

+1

A breast reduction surgery may produce a very significant change in breast size. When discussing your aesthetic goals with your plastic surgeon, make sure that your final breast size will match the rest of your body. Otherwise you may end up with an unbalanced appearance. Consider the width of your hips and the size of your waist when considering the final size for your breasts.

D-cup to A-cup may not be possible

+1

Breast reduction is an operation geared to reduce the breasts, but also make that change likely to heal. It is not like changing a tire. You will likely not be able to go that small.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction from D to A cup impossible

+1

I think it would be almost impossible to reduce you to an "A" cup size without leaving your chest very deformed. Reducing from a "D" to a "B" or a "C" would be much easier to accomplish and give you a natural result.