One Breast Softer Than the Other, Should I Worry? (photo)

I got my implants a week ago today. 420 cc, saline, behind the muscle. Feel greatm very little pain. My left breast is much softer and easier to displace duering massage than my right breast. Is this normal? I the softness I am feeling the actual breast tissue I already had? Afraid I have "sprung" a leak.

Breast Augmentation and Asymmetric “softness”?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your recent surgery;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with results of your surgery.

At this point, it is very common to experience all kinds of breast asymmetry including in the feel (softness) of the breasts. It will take several months for you to see (and feel) the final results of surgery. 

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will be able to provide more reassurance after he/she directly examines you.

One week out from breast augmentation, breasts feel different

+2

Thank you for the photos. At one week out there's some swelling thar is expected.It seems to me from the frontal photo on the right, that you have a lot of fullness o=superiorly on both sides. Are these textured implants? With these you can have a seroma this might be the reason for the abnormal superior fullness. If you would have a leak, you would be smaller on that side. I do not recommend massage this early for my patients, like to wait at least 2 weeks postoperatively. You should be calling your surgeon and see him/her about your concerns. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Don't worry

+2

It is too soon to be worried about differences in the shape, feel, softness of the breasts.  These differences are common and normal for the first several weeks. In fact, they can last for a few months.  The photos of your breasts show a fairly typical appearance at one week after surgery.  Give it time and check in with your doctor as scheduled.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Not unusual to feel small differences between the two

+2

Your photographs show the two breasts to be relatively similar, perhaps the right is slighty more swollen but no signs of bruising.  Typically early swelling improves over the first few weeks.  Implant massage and displacement will become easier with time and subtle differences in feel are not a problem unless accompanied by pain or major differences in appearance.  "Springing a leak" this early would be highly improbable.

Relax, recover and follow up with your surgeon in a week or two for reassurance.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants May Feel And Sometimes Look Different At 1 Week.

+2

Your implants look normal at one week post surgery. The upper pole swelling usually resolves at 2-4 weeks and sometimes longer. It is also not uncommon for one breast to feel different than the other during the first several weeks or months. Be patient, I'm sure they will relax and settle down. Keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

One Week After Breast Implant Surgery Asymetry is Very Common

+1

Congratulations. On the front view your breasts look very symetrical.

I do not think you should worry at one week. Your implants will soften with time and most likely as they settle they will feel more symetrical.

If you "sprung a leak" in your Saline Breast Implant you most likely would experience total deflation of that side.

Keep up the exercises and massage, that is very important. See your doctor and express your concerns.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Implants - One Breast Softer Than the Other, Should I Worry?

+1

At one week post-op it's relatively common for the breasts to be different, and this includes the size, position, firmness, and many other aspects.  That's not to say that anything and everything is okay, but that it may be.  This is particularly so if saline implants have been filled to different amounts (the larger implant, assuming the same size "shell" may feel firmer).  So if that was the case, that is a ready explanation.  Otherwise, though, it is still very common and not necessarily a cause for concern. 

You should, of course, discuss all of this with your PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Implants and softness

+1

At one week and possibly forever, one breast will always feela  bit tighter than the opposite side because not two breasts are exactly the same.