I am now a size 32 G, 160lbs and 5'2". If I loose 20 pounds, how much will that reduce my cup size?

I plan on having a breast reduction, I am now a size 32 G, 160lbs and 5'2". If I loose 20 pounds, how much will that reduce my cup size. Will I still be able to get a breast reduction and have the insurance pay for it because I know that they have take at least 500 grams from each breast in order for the insurance to pay.

Breast Size Reduction with weight loss

+1

It is impossible for anyone to tell you what breast size you will be after losing 20 pounds.. each patient's body reacts differently to weight loss.  Most likely, you will have a reduction in breast size but I would not think that 20 pound weight loss would disqualify you from having insurance cover the surgery.  You will have the best results if you are at your lowest weight prior to surgery.

Best Wishes!

Breast reduction and weight loss

+1

It is impossible to predict the effects of weight loss on your breasts.  Most women see some change with weight loss, but often it is minimal.  Once you have achieved your ideal weight, it's best to consult with an experienced Plastic Surgeon to determine the amount of breast tissue that would ideally be resected and then to present this to your insurance carrier for authorization.

Dr. Pedy Ganchi/ Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood, New Jersey

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast size usually will fluctuate with weight.

+1

Most often, but not always, breast size will change with weight.  Insurance companies sometimes deny coverage of patients for breast reduction if they are overweight. 

Breast size usually decreases with weight loss.

+1

Since the breast is partially composed of fat, it will usually decrease in size with weight loss.  If you are starting at a g cup breast, I don't think that losing 20lbs would disqualify you from getting insurance coverage for a breast reduction.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and weight loss

+1

Certainly, if you are significantly overweight, then a medically supervised weight loss program would be ideal before you have surgery to reduce your surgical risks. Your breast size may decrease with weight loss, but skin excess/laxity is not likely to improve. So you might have a deflated breast cup size with redundant, loose skin and the nipple may remain in a low position. It's important to discuss these issues face to face with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can advise you of your options. I don't think weight loss is usually very helpful in determining insurance coverage or optimizing aesthetic outcomes as much as it is helpful in reducing surgical risks that correlate to a high body-mass index, like wound healing or anesthesia complications. Good luck!

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy

+1

Dear Donna,

thank you for your question.  Weight loss can have varying effects on different body parts- including breasts.  Since there is some fat in breasts- they may become smaller with loss of weight.

Your question about insurance and coverage would be best answered by your Plastic Surgeon.  Certanly losing weight is advantageous for your health and i congratulate you on your goal and wish you great success.

Wtih Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Breast size and weight loss

+1
Weight loss will certainly affect your breast size. However, it is very difficult to predict how much of the loss comes from the breasts. The simple answer to your question is to recommend that you loose your weight before the surgery for optimal cosmetic outcomes. If, however, it will take a long time for you to achieve your weight loss, then there is no point in you suffering from back pain, neck pain, and other symptoms of large breasts. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Weight loss and breast size

+1

More than likely your breast cup size will drop a bit if you lose weight because most breasts have a component of fat in them.  AS for the exact change, it is hard to predict because everyone has a different ratio of breast parenchyma  to fattty tissue.

Weight loss before a breast reduction and insurance related issues

+1

The response of your breasts to a weight loss is not fully predictable. Without photos and an examination, it is only conjecture as to how much would be taken off at present, nevermind after a 20 pound weight loss. This amount would also be affected by the ultimate size that you desire.

For best results and longer lasting ones, my recommendation would be to lose as much of the weight as possible before undergoing the procedure. If the amount that is anticipated to be removed is significantly above 500cc right now, it is unlikely that your weight loss would take you under this insurance mandated amount.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Will my Breast Size Reduce With Weight Loss?

+1

Some women will notice a considerable difference with this amount of weight loss, others wont.  It is variable. However, with a G cup bra, even if you go down a couple of cup sizes with 20# weight loss, you will still be able to have 500g removed without a problem.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon