Different Breast Size 2 Weeks Out

I am currently 2 weeks post op from breast augmentation and a lift in one breast. Up until now, both have appeared identical in their size and swelling. In last couple of days I have noticed that the one without the lift seems to become a bit smaller/less swollen. Could this just be that the one with the lift (having had more surgery) will stay swollen longer due to longer healing time? I had silicone placed under the muscle. Thanks!

Asymmetries Are Common!

+3

It is common to see differences early after surgery. It is normal to see the breasts heal at different paces.

Do check with your surgeon to be sure!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast size difference after augmentation-mastopexy

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

You are very early in the healing process. As my colleague Dr. Placik was mentioning, swelling may persist for several months and it is indeed possible that the breast that underwent a concomitant lift has more swelling. Keep in mind that perfect symmetry is difficult to achieve. You may a slight asymmetry following the resolution of swelling several months down the line. For now, I wouldn't worry a whole lot as there is nothing to do but wait and let the healing process runs its course. Should you see significant asymmetries in 6 months, consult with your physician for an evaluation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Different size breasts after surgery

+2

It is common to have different size breasts after surgery. You likely had asymmetry before the surgery and will most likely have some after surgery. While there may be a great improvement, you will probably still have some asymmetry. Also, given that you had a lift on one side only, you are correct in thinking that the side with the lift will stay more swollen longer. I would recommend that you give at least three months to allow the swelling to subside before you judge the results. 

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Breast augmentation

+2

The more surgery performed will result in greater post-operative swelling.  Also, be aware that the final result may not necessarily have symmetry (i.e. the areola may be a different size and roundness,etc).

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Breast asymmetry just two weeks after breast implants

+2

As your breasts were uneven before breast augmentation and a lift was needed on one side, the healing curve will be different and the breast with the lift is likely to stay swollen longer, and the time to settling in different than the opposite breast. It may take several months for the breasts to equally soften and shape, and some asymmetry will persist. One word of caution though, if you were  really very even right after your procedure, let your surgeon have a quick look to make sure that there has been no bleeding to cause the swelling on the lift side.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast size difference 2 weeks after surgery

+2

Since you had two different procedures done on your breasts, then it is possible that one side has longer lasting swelling than the other. You may want to mention this to your surgeon just to make sure no fluid collections are forming.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Two weeks post-op asymmetry

+2

If the breasts looked fairly equivalent a few days ago and now one is much larger, I would be worried about a hematoma.  You should check with your doctor.

Too early postop to tell

+2

It is too early after your surgery to know just how the breasts will "settle".  This is a normal 6-8 week process as the initial swellling resolves and the implants descend slightly with gravity as the overlying tissues stretch.   In general, it is quite likely that some degree of asymmetry can persist despite any attempt at addressing differences in the two breasts.  In your case there must have been some asymmetry identified as you had a lift on one side only, therefore some persistent asymmetry is not uncommon.

Be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry post breast augmentation

+2

It is possible to have some residual asymmetry after a procedure such as yours.  It is much to early to assess your postoperative result.   I would wait 2-3 months to allow your implants to settle into final position and the breast lift scars to settle.   At this point, you can determine if you are happy with the symmetry of your breasts, or whether further surgery would be indicated.   Close followup with your plastic surgeon is necessary to assess your progress.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Asymmetry two weeks after breast augmentation is (usually) normal!

+2

Swelling is almost always different between breasts even if the same operation is done on each side--one side will also bruise more, tingle or hurt more, drop and settle faster, etc. These differences are even more pronounced when the surgical procedure is different for each side. So it is probably normal.

At two weeks post-op, however, you are stiil at risk for bleeding inside your breast pocket. If the swelling seems more than you expect, or if the breast is firm compared to the opposite side, this warrants urgent recheck by your surgeon. He or she will be glad to check this out, because if you have had bleeding and it is neglected (not removed via re-operation), you have a higher risk of developing a capsular contracture on that side. Believe me, reoperation to correct capsular contracture is a much bigger deal, and not always successful, compared to evacuation of hematoma.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon