What Breast Size Would You Suggest I Reduce to if I Want to Be Covered by Insurance and Match the Desires Below?

I am 19, 5' 3", 137 lbs, slim but muscular and curvy (36,26,35), and have 30F breasts. I want to reduce the tension in my shoulders, be able to buy cheap Victoria Secret bras, exercise without my breasts getting in the way, buy regular bathing suits, wear backless things and go braless sometimes, and not be frustrated with what I see in the mirror. I thought reduction to a 30D would suit my desires. Insurance--generally accepts greater than 22nd percentile reduction. Thank you for your time.

A C CUP

+1
A C cup would give you the very best match . The final decision is more visual than actual cup measurement. You should trust the experience of the plastic surgeon in making you proportionate.

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

What Breast Size Would You Suggest I Reduce to?

+1

That's a common question and not possible to answer without an examination. Once you have had a consult and discussed your desires with the surgeon, his office will contact your insurance carrier to see if your particular situation is covered. Don't count on coverage however, because this is one procedure the carriers usually try and deny.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Size after reduction mammoplasty

+1

It is impossible make a meaningful recommendation as everyone is different and no one can predict how much of a reduction is necessary to eliminate back pain or achieve other specific goals. However, breast reduction surgery generally provides greater patient satisfaction than most other procedures. You should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss your concerns and goals with the surgeon. You should be comfortable with the recommendations before proceeding. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Resulting Size?

+1

Based on the description of your body type and breast size, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I suggest that you ask your plastic surgeon whether your goals in regards to breast size after breast reduction surgery are compatible with the health insurance requirements. If not, make sure you end up happy with the results of surgery (do not have the breasts over reduced to meet the health insurance company requirements).

Breast reduction sizing

+1
Tall order. With D cup breasts, on your frame, you may still have shoulder pain and the weight of the breasts and gravity will result in sagging over time. Even a 30D is not a common bra size. The ideal is a well fitting bra, not the cheapest one in the store, which will cost you more in th long run. There is no generalizing about insurance coverage for breast reduction anymore. Read your insurer's criteria. You may need to substantiate conservative medical management including a course of physical therapy as a prerequisite to coverage.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

What Size Breasts?

+1

Dear Electrictangerine (cute name!).  All insurance plans are different and you should call them to discuss what their requirements are for coverage.  Sometimes there are several hoops to jump through before they will cover so it's best to be informed in advance. For example, some require letters from your primary doctor, an orthopedic spine specialist and/or chiropractor that state you need the reduction in order to improve your spinal problems.   Most of them also want a certain amount of weight removed during surgery in order for you to qualify.  Hope this helps and that it goes well.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon