Safe to Have Two Breast Procedures at Once?

I've always been extremely unhappy with my breast size and shape, but I also want areola reduction surgery. Can both procedures be done in one surgical visit?

Changing nipple areola size

+2

They can and for optimal results should be done together. The optimal female areola diameter is just over 4cm with the nipples each about 10cm from the midline. The surgeon though has to be careful to maintain blood supply to the nipple and areola when designing the procedure.

The important thing is to make sure you do not have a tubular breast deformity as that would change the procedure required to give you a good result.

Areola reduction and breast augmentation

+1

Yes! These procedures are frequently combined.  This can be done with one incision around your areola to make it simple.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Multiple breast procedures at the same time

+1

Surgeons vary greatly on this difficulty of this decision. IT is my impression that most surgeons perform a combined procedure but may caution patients that a revision may be required for the best result as opposed to performing two procedures and guaranteeing that more than one is necessary

Breast surgery

+1

It is a common process to perform both areola reduction and Breast lift/re-shaping/removal of tissue at the same time. You need not worry about this being combined.

Adjustment of areola at time of Breast Surgery

+1

Areolar size can be adjusted at the time of breast surgery. If the procedure is a reduction or lift, areolar adjustment is a component of that procedure. If the procedure is augmentation, the implant can be placed through an incision on the edge of the areola and the areola reduced at the same time.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction can be done safely at the same time as breast lift or augmentation

+1

Breast lift surgery can be done through an incision around the areola, reducing the areolar size and lifting the breast at the same time. Augmentation can be done through this same incision too. Some caution is indicated if you want a breast lift and an aug at the same time. Make sure that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience doing these two procedures together. Reduction of the areola should not add any significant risk to other breast surgery.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon