Can I Breastfeed w/ 14 Year Old Silicone Implants?

I Have Breast Silicon Implants for 14 Years. I Want to Get Pregnant. Can I Breast Feed? or I Have to Replace Them First?

Breast Feeding with Breast Implants is Safe

+3

Having breast implants or breast augmentation surgery does not preclude you from breast feeding. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help determine the status of your implants.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding with silicone gel implants

+3

There should be no reason not to breast feed with silicone gel breast implants in place.

Since 14-year old implants are approaching their life expectancy, patients should be examined by their plastic surgeon for evidence of leakage.  Physical examination and an MRI are usually the best ways to determine if older implants are intact or not.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast feeding is safe with all currently approved breast implants.

+2

Women with Silicone filled breast implants do not need to have them removed if they are planning a pregnancy and want to breast feed. Previous breast surgery, particularly surgery through the nipple may have altered your ability to breast feed while other approaches rarely create any obstacles. The quality and quantity of breast milk will not be negatively affected by your implants. If you have been having any problems or recent changes to your breasts then consider a check up before you get pregnant.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants and breastfeeding

+2

In general, there is no contraindication to breastfeeding in the presence of silicone gel-filled implants. Since your implants were manufactured for the European market, it is difficult to be certain as to whether or not they have maintained their integrity.  If you are concerned, an evaluation by your surgeon and an MRI would be in order.  If indeed, the implants are found to be intact, then you could certainly try to  breastfeed without concern.  Please note that not all women, regardless of whether they have breast implants of any type, can breastfeed. 

Richard J. Wassermann, MD, MPH
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+2

As long as you do not have problems with your breasts or implants, there is no reason that you should not be able to breast feed.  Good luck with your pregnancy and bonding with your baby!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and implants

+2

It is certainly possible for you to breast feed with implants.  It is not essential to change your implants prior to getting pregnant.

Breast feeding with silicone implants

+2

I don't believe there should be any reason precluding you from breast feeding after breast augmentation with silicone implants. The ability to breast feed may vary from patient to patient depending on the type of incision, location of the implant, and the amount of tissue manipulation during the augmentation.

K. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Good time to check your implants.

+2
We now recommend periodic inspection of silicone implants. MRI Has been shown to be the most reliable test for this. The studies are old but they failed to show any silicone in breast milk of lactating women. There may be other reasons for not breast-feeding. Discuss this with your OB as well as your Plastic Surgeon.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

+2

Great question and concern. Since you are European I would seek a "complete breast examination" (MRI, physical) to TRY to determine the condition of your implants. Even than I might forgo breasting for piece of mind that "no" breast milk has micro droplets of silicone. From MIAMI 

+2

In general breast augmentation with silicone implants does not preclude breast feeding.

Nonetheless,with 14 years old implants I would urge you to ascertain the integrity of the implants.

To that end  I'd urge you to consult with your plastic surgeon.

Erel Laufer, MD