One breast is significantly higher than the other and different shaped. Is it swelling?

I had a breast augmentation done in November of 2013. It Is now March and one breast is still really high up and different shaped. I have very thin skin and had a very small chest before so is it possible that I could still be healing or that it is still swollen? I feel like at 3-4 months it should be healed and I'm getting concerned!

One Breast Higher Than Other

Without pictures it is hard to say what is going on. I would just make sure you go see your surgeon for an exam. Sometimes one takes longer to drop than the other, but it could be many things that only your surgeon will know by examining you.

11000 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Swelling, Or Something Else?

HI Mattiejenae. Swelling can persist for 6 months or more after surgery, but there is no way for me to know if that's what's going on with you. Without photos and more details about the type of placement the size of the implants, etc., I really can't offer you much consolation. I can say that you should trust your instincts and if you feel that something isn't right, get in to see your doctor. He or she can evaluate what is going on and give you a thorough explanation. If there is any reason for concern, he or she is the person to discuss your options with you. Take control of this situation sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS

16100 Sand Canyon Ave #230
Irvine, CA 92618

Breast augmentation

It is hard to advise without photos or in person exam.

You can expect to have continued 'dropping' of the implant for up to one year. After that, gravity and tissue stretch will continue to 'soften up' the appearance of your upper breast and give you a more natural appearance.
To clarify, implants don't actually 'drop' (at least they shouldn't) after surgery. What actually happens is that the chest muscle and breast skin in the upper breast continue to stretch and relax giving the appearance that the upper part of the breast is getting flatter (and thus the implant appears to have 'dropped'). In reality, the implant stays in the same position and the relaxed muscle and skin allows the implant appearance in the upper breast to go from a bulging look to a more natural appearance.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

16766 Bernardo Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92128

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  Without the benefit of an examination or photos it is hard to tell what is expected swelling and what might need a revision. I would contact your plastic surgeon and let them know your concerns and see what they have to say.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

1200 North El Dorado Place
Tucson, AZ 85715

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

If you still have significant asymmetry after 3-4 months, it is highly unlikely that it is due to swelling will most likely require a revision procedure to correct the problem. Follow up with your surgeon will be needed to develop a plan for the revision. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

300 Keisler Drive
Cary, NC 27518

Breast Asymmetry After 3-4 Months

Dear Mattiejenae,  Photos would be very helpful in answering your question. However, significant asymmetry after 3-4 months is unlikely to change and most likely will require intervention. Please discuss with your surgeon and have them examine your concerns. Good luck. #Dr. Gervais

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

4825 Olson Memorial Highway (Hwy 55)
Minneapolis, MN 55422

Consult with your Plastic Surgeon regarding your concerns.   Since your surgery was 3-4 months ago, a breast revision may be needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

Without before and after pictures, it is difficult to fully comment on your issues.  If your augmentation was 3-4 months ago, most of the implant settling should be done by now.  Asymmetry at this point is unlikely to change and will likely need some intervention.  Speak with your plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD

175 Ridge Road
McKinney, TX 75070

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.

At four months post surgery breast implants have settled into place for most patients.  Any significant asymmetry at this time would be of some concern, and could be a contracture vs other type of implant related issue.

Photos would be helpful to get a better sense of your concern.  Visit with your plastic surgeon to see what may be happening.  

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

800 12th Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104

By four months, most patients' implants have settled into place, so any significant asymmetry would be of some concern.  Without photos, there is not much more I can say. Consider, please, posting some, along with befores if possible, and more useful responses will follow.

My  advice anyway is to follow with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004