4 Months Post-Op And I'd Like a Breast Revision To Go Smaller. How Long Should I Wait? (photo)

I had a breast argumentation surgery June 2011. The implant of 205cc was placed above the muscle but i'am not happy with the size. After the swelling went down the size reduced a lot and it's not much bigger than my original size. I'am thinking of getting a breast revision but i wanted to know how long I should wait, the risks and if it will be more painful. I also wanted a more rounded look on top. Advice please???

Signs of Early Droop

+1

Waiting 6 months is generally a good idea.  It appears that your skin is starting to stretch and I would suggest considering a submuscular positioning in addition to a larger implant.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Timing Of Breast Implant Revision

+1

It is not surprising that implants as small as 200cc did not achieve your breast size goals. That would not even make a full cup difference in size. You only need to wait as long as it takes to have all of the swelling subside and that you have had time to adjust to the change and are certain that more volume would really be better. That would be a minimum of three months after the original breast implant surgery. This time you need to go to at least 400cc and choose a more round or high profile style of implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast augmentation revision

+1

Revision of a breast augmentation is usually not as painful as the original surgery.  I think 4-6 months after your previous surgery is probably long enough to wait.

You can have revision 3-6 months post surgery

+1

You had breast augmentation and looks like it was trans axillary augmentation. The pocket was dissected too much laterally and caused implant stretching the breast tissue to much.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision with subfascial placement

+1

It is usually best to wait six months to adjust to both the swelling and physical aspects as well as the psychology of the changes.  from looking at your pictures, the implant is quite low and medial so it would be a big mistake to simply switch out for a larger size!  You will definitely need a change of planes and I woould strongly recommend a change to subfascial positioning which will allow elevation of the breast, improved upper pole fullness, a more natural look and much more longevity then your current placement.  I hope this helps!  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Usually, I ask my patients  to wait at least 6 months prior to revision surgery for the reasons  you are looking to do the revisionary surgery. This will give you enough time to really consider your decision and the potential risks and complications  associated with revisionary surgery.

If you decide to proceed with revisionary surgery it will be very important to communicate your overall goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible .
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

I hope this if helps.