I've Had One Breast Revision, but They Look Terrible. What Do I Do? (photo)

I got a revision because my first lift was a circumolear lift w/ implants. After waiting a year and a half, I went back in for a revision to remove the scarring and get a vertical lift. This was done on Jan 17th. but I'm scarred the same thing may happen. He says both times that the stitches didn't hold because I'm allergic. They are popping out left and right. I do what he says and that is to pull them and them cut them. Then I bleed everywhere, and am in a lot of pain. What do I do?

What are my options for breast implant revision?

+2

There are many factors which can lead to difficult or prolonged healing after surgery and so it's hard to know what is really going on here.  Since you've reacted on both sides, there probably is a good chance that you are reacting to the suture material but it's hard to know definitively.  

As for actually being allergic to suture material, I'm not sure that you can really say that for a fact given that sutures are broken down via an inflammatory reaction to begin with.  Yours just may be more pronounced than the standard.  

My suggestion would be to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and have him/her follow you closely through the healing phase.  There is no way to predict uneventful healing from any incision but there are a number of ways to help guide this healing if it does look like this.  

I hope that helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

I've Had One Breast Revision, but They Look Terrible.

+1

I am not sure I get the whole picture here--did a similar thing happen with your scars after the first surgery?

At this stage, I understand your frustration and concern, but there is not much to do in the short run but to wait several months for all the suture fragments to dissolve and the incisions to be completely healed. At that time another scar revision can be done, preferably using a single layer closure with removable sutures of nylon.  Avoid the suture material used this time. 

All the best. 

Breaset implant revision

+1

It looks like your scars have stretched a bit and are still quite red.  Follow closely with your surgeon to make sure everything is healing properly then consider a scar revision when the incisions soften.

Breast Augmentation Revision and Breast Lift

+1

Sometimes there are healing issues that neither surgeon nor patient can predict.  Obviously, something has to be used to close a surgical wound, and there are some patients who react to anything used in a less than favorable fashion.   You are doing everything that you can do.   I would definitely follow closely with your plastic surgeon to ensure that the wound is clean and is allowed to heal in the best manner possible.  Scar revision can be considered in 6 months to 1 year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scarring after aug/ mastopexy

+1

I'm sorry you've had this problem.  It looks like the scars have opened or stretched.  These wide scars stay red many months.  This is one of the   problems that can occur when augmentation is done the same time as mastopexy.  Another revision can be done, but you have to be prepared to change the equation to get a different outcome this time.  I'd advise waiting 3+ months.  Would you consider removing the implants only temporarily, revise the scars then replace the implants later?  Discuss this option with your surgeon.  

D'Arcy Honeycutt, MD
Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

Your incisions look angry. I think you need to see your surgeon right away. This could be reaction to suture or infection, cannot tell from photo.

Good luck.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon