5 Weeks Post-Op Breast Augmentation Both Breasts Look Very Different, Options?

I had a lift mastopexy with implants on 7/27/11 to 350CC. Anyway, my right breast was completely "dropped" the day I came home as the left is still high 5 weeks post op. I'm fearing my left breast has malposition/bottoming out. And the left one may have capsular Contraction...I selected my surgeon because he is reputable, etc. My right breast is lower than my left and I look like I have two different breast.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Gonna have to wait at least 6 months to see how things settle, I think the results at this point look great and I think it will balance in time

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

Hi,

Your pictures show your left breast lower but I assume that you took the pic in the mirror so your description of the right lower fits.

Mastopexy with implants is a difficult operation because you have so many variables going on at once.  It is not uncommon to get some unevenness and revision surgery might be necessary.  Your P.S.  will probably suggest that you wait at least 6 months or more to determine if you need any touch-ups but be patient and stay close to your doctor. 

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Postop Asymmetry After Breast Lift and Implants

+1

There is no question that your breasts look different after the operation, however this is difficult to assess without pre-op pictures. This is a challenging operation and there can be asymmetries after the procedure. Patience is invaluable, but also stay in contact with your surgeon to ensure that you are continuing to improve. It is possible that what you are worrying about is happening, but you don't want to undergo an unnecessary operation.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Asymmetry after Breast Lift w/ Implants

+1

When you do implants with a lift at the same time it's harder to get exact positioning.  In your case I would usually let it heal for about 6 months and then with a small operation you can improve the size and positioning. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

After augmentation, breasts look different

+1

Your breasts were most probably different in their tissue content before the surgery. Give it more time, but then definitely communicate your concerns to your surgeon.

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

+1

You are still fairly early in the recovery process. It is normal that both implants do not behave the same way early on as one may drop more quickly than the other, have more or less swelling and so on. It is hard to advise you on symmetry without "before" pictures and a physical exam but I would suggest that you be patientuntil you are 3-6 months out from your surgery. By that time you will have a pretty good idea of your final result. Regarding capsular contracture, it is possible to have one this early but a physical exam by your surgeon is the way to make this diagnosis. And on a final note, these are all complications that can happen with a good and "reputable" plastic surgeon.

Joseph Fata, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Although your concern is completely understandable, patience is critical at this point in your recovery. You will find that the breasts  will change over the next few months. Hopefully, these changes will result in improved symmetry.

I am glad you're working with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. However, even in the best of hands, some breast asymmetry is the rule not the exception after breast augmentation/mastopexy surgery. If the asymmetry is significant enough you will benefit from revisionary surgery many months/year after your initial operation.

Breast lift asymmetry

+1

It is always nice to see pre-op photos as well. Everyone is somewhat asymmetric to start with. The breast folds are different, the width is different, the areola is different, and the volume is also different.  Certainly an attempt is made to try to make them perfectly symmetrical but sometimes identical twins can not be obtained.  In fact, most of the time we get sisters, and occasionally they can look like cousins.  Give it time to heal and then be re-evaluated by your surgeon, sometimes small adjustments can be made to correct osme of your concerns.

Complete symmetry may not be possible

+1

It may not be possible to obtain exact symmetry of your breasts.  They might have looked different before you had your breast implants and mastopexy.  Your surgeon may have gotten the best results that were possible under the circumstances.  It is difficult or impossible to say without seeing before and after pictures of you and an examination in person.  You may wish to consult another board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion in person.  I recommend consulting the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

James Tang, MD

Asymetry

+1

i would love to see preop pictures.  how different were they ahead of time?  at this point would wait 6 months from the time of surgery and reevaluate the situation with your surgeon

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon