Need Breast Revision + Lift Currently over + Saline 300cc Considering Silicone...drs Want to Go Under I'm Not Clear Why? (photo)

18yrs ago I had 1 side expanded then implants. I now have a leaking saline implant. Currently placed sub-mammary, tuberous breasts, asymmetry, likely need lift on at least one side, uneven infra-mammary folds/lower pole restriction? and also high placed "smile" under breast incisions.

Need Breast Revision

+2

If the left side alone were the sole issue here, I would concur with you about questioning a pocket change. However, the issue of capsular contracture on the right side complicates the decision process. Most surgeons would suggest repositioning to the submuscular plane the implant on a side with a capsular contracture, to reduce the chances of another one.

As to the lift, I don't see a "need" for one on the right, and if the left looked about the same before deflation, I would feel the same about that side. 

Getting a number of opinions seems worthwhile, and then you will have a tough time deciding among alternatives that will be proposed. All the best. 

Best Breast Operation for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Assuming that you are happy with the look and feel of the breast uninvolved with the deflation, I am unclear as to why a breast implant pocket exchange is “necessary”.  In other words, after reading your concerns about a breast implant pocket exchange, I think you'll likely do well keeping the current breast implant pockets being used during your revisionary breast surgery.

As you can imagine, more precise advice would necessitate in person consultation.  As you go through the consultation process don't hesitate to ask your plastic surgeon consultants about the reasoning behind their recommendations. Communicate your goals clearly also.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_revisionarybreastsurgery.htm

When a mastopexy and a breast augmentation are done concurrently sub pectoral placement of the implant is probably safe.

+1

Because the blood supply issues to the breast tissue went to operations such as breast augmentation and mastopexy are performed, it probably is safer to place the implants below the pectoralis muscle in avoid violating chest wall perforators which a sub glandular placement would.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

Explant with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

+1

You need Explant with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast increasing upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through the same incision, the old implants are removed and the new implants placed.  I recommend silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural and are less likely to ripple.  This technique also elevates the inframammary fold.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall will give maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Smaller implants will descend less, are mor stable long term and less likely to require revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

+1

Thank you for including photos with your question.  It appears that bilateral implant exchange with submuscular conversion in addition to right capsulectomy would be indicated.  Submuscular implant placement is preferred for two reasons: 1. this decreases the chances of capsular contracture due to the "massaging" action of the muscle over the implant and 2. the advantage of "seeing" all mammary tissue on mammography.  The advantages of silicone gel implants are that they more closely resemble natural breast tissue and if they do leak, it would not result in a "deflated" appearance.  Breast lift depends on the grade of ptosis (sagging) present, which is difficult to discern on the right side due to capsular contracture.  It would be advisable to have a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in dealing with the complexities of Tubular Breast Deformity.

+1

At the very least, going under the muscle creates more camouflage for the implant and decreases the chance of rippling. However, maintaining the pocket would certainly be easier for the surgeon. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-revision-photo-galleries.php

+1

With your many concerns I recommend a STAGED operative approach. First exchange to UHP silicones in 375 to 400 cc range. Allow 3 months healing and I could keep in same pocket if that is YOUR desire. Than consider lifting in a second operation. 

Capsular contracture and pocket change

+1

Because you have  a capsular contracture, it is usually preferred to place implants in a submuscular pocket to reduce the risk of another capsular contracture.

Breast Implant Revision

+1

Thank you for the photos.  If your saline implant has leaked then the shape will be different so a lift may not be necessary.  I see no reason why you can't get silicone implants in the same pockets .

Dr. ES

Treatment of a ruptured saline implant

+1

The key to  your proper treatment would be to determine the cause of your implant rupture.  If the implant ruptured due to a capsular contracture that may be a reason for a site change.  Otherwise, if you were happy before, then just replace the implant and use the same fill volume as before.