Breast Removal and Reconstruction when Fibroid Cysts?

For the past 10 years have been dealing with large multiple fibroid cysts. We have a history of breast cancer in the family. I have had asperated in the past but now I have had too many. Should I just have my breasts removed and undergo reconstruction?

A good alternative for teh right person.

+1

There is no exact answer to your question. The reason that subcutaneous mastectomy (removal of the breast leaving the nipple) and reconstruction is usually done is for people like you with multiple masses and an increased risk of developing breast cancer. The other thing that fits into the equation is the ease of examining the breast. Even with multiple masses and an increased risk, if mammography can easily distinguish between the masses, the procedure is generally not done unless you are having significant worries that are interfering with normal functioning. If you have masses that make palpatory detection of cancer difficult as well as problems with mammography where the radiologist can not readily distinguish benign from malignant, then the surgery is an excellent option. In people with a very high risk of developing cancer (those with significant family history, the BRCA gene, or previous biopsies with an increased risk), the procedure has been shown to reduce the incidence of breast cancer. It will not, however, eliminate the risk; just make it easy to detect a cancer by palpation. I would find a knowledgeable Plastic Surgeon who has an interest in breast disease and discuss the options with him/her.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast cysts and reconstruction

+1

Having problems with multiple breast cysts and a family history of breast cancers certainly puts up red flags. However, I would recommend that you speak to your breast surgeon before pursing any type of mastectomy and/or reconstruction.

Mastectomy for breast cysts

+1

This is definitely a question you should discuss with your general breast surgeon. Of course, if mastectomy if what is recommended for you, then a plastic surgeon can certainly give you your options regarding reconstruction.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Breast removal and reconstruction good option when cancer is discovered

+1

Breast removal and reconstruction is a good option when cancer has been discovered or is probable. Reconstruction provides a breast that looks better than the absence of one, but sometimes not better than the breast that preceded it. Sensation is altered from the removal operation. Carefully consider your options here.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon