Breast Reduction&Tummy Tuck After C-Section. Not Sure Where To Begin?

I am a 37 year female who lives in Florida.I have always had floppy large breast for as long as I can remember.I have always hated my breast for the past two years my back pain has increased.I want to have a breast reduction and also a tummy tuck.I have always had a flat stomach until last year after giving birth by a cesarean which left my stomach horrible.I am not sure if I would benefit from a mini or a full tummy tuck.I really need some insight as to what direction to go.What would be my options?

Breast Reduction/Abdominoplasty Surgeries

+1

As a general rule, I like to space the procedures as they are both large procedures. Typically, I recommend doing the tummy tuck first as there will be a slight pull on the breasts when we pull down on the abdomen skin. With both procedures you must be sure you are comfortable with the scars. Both surgeries come with extensive scars. Most patients do not find it to be a trade-off because they get everything else they want: flat tummy, tight muscles, perky breasts and so on. The most important thing is to make sure you go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Breast Reduction & Tummy Tuck...

+1

When patients have back pain due to large breasts, breast reduction is an excellent option.  Sometimes if the pain is severe, the procedure may be able to be covered by your insurance.  If you are considering having a tummy tuck along with a breast reduction, the two procedures can be done the same day, as long as you are a good candidate medically.  As for your options of a mini or full tummy tuck, and what will be suitable, it is very important to discuss those options with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and tummy tuck for Mommy makeover

+1

Breast reduction and tummy tuck procedures are commonly performed together.  Your best first step is to contact a respected Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.  The goal of an office visit is for you to gain a complete education so you can make good choices.

Breast lift and breast reduction are the same procedures, with more tissue being removed during a reduction.  A mini tummy tuck is reserved for those women who only need removal of some excess skin; muscle tightening or skin removal requiring a lot of work are considered parts of a full tummy tuck.

These procedures are safe and effective.  Make sure your prospective surgeon has a portfolio of pictures that demonstrate pre- and post-op results.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Combining breast reduction with an abdminoplasty

+1

If you have overly large breasts and have symptoms including upper back and neck pain then you are a good candidate for a breast reduction.  This in itself is a large operation and with most of my patients I would divide this into two steps especially if you need a extensive breast reduction as well as an extensive abdominoplasty.  When two large surgical procedures are combined there is an increased risk of complications such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.   Personally I do not like doing extensive breast surgery at the same time an abdominoplasty is performed.  Of course there are exceptions and a thorough physical examination can help determine what your risks are.  

Where to start?

+1

I would first ask any friends who have had cosmetic surgery if they have any recommendations. I would then see who they recommend along with a few Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, find someone who you are comfortable with and you feel will give you the best results.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction or tummy tuck?

+1

Since you are symptomatic from your large and heavy breasts, I would suggest you begin there.  See an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon for consultation.  If you are not planning to have more children, the next step could be abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Where To Start for Breast and Abdominal Surgery?

+1

The best candidates for breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery are  women who have completed pregnancies, have reached a long-term stable weight,  who are medically, psychologically, socially and financially stable,  and who have  a positive “support system" to assist with perioperative care (for themselves and their children).

If you meet  (at least the majority) of these criteria, the best place to start would be with consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.