Breast Reduction for 17 Year Old with 36F Breasts?

I'm 17 and I have fairly large breasts they are a 36F, not only that one is larger than the other and i have back back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain. my posture is terrible and my bra straps dig into my shoulders. I have been considering a reduction since i was 14 and i was wondering what are the major risks of this procedure and what are your recommendations?

Breast Reduction for 17 Year Old?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+1

First discuss this as a medical problem with your mother and pediatrician. They will be able to offer you advice about your candidacy for the procedure. At your age, you are a bit early to consider the procedure but if your growth has stablilized, it is not unreasonable to begin the education process in preparation for the procedure

Breast reduction

+1

If your breasts have stopped growing, then you certainly can undergo a breast reduction.  Like most surgeries there are risks of infection, seroma, hematoma, wound healing issues, to name a few.

Breast Reduction Risks

+1

The risks of reduction include the risks of all surgery (anesthesia, bleeding, infection, scarring, poor wound healing).  It is very important that reduction patients do not smoke as this can definitely interfere with healing here.  Other more specific possible complications are fat necrosis and loss of nipple sensation.

John Whitt, MD