I noticed a big (about the size of half a match box) hard tender and painfull lump on the left side of my breast, what could it be.
I had a breast reductions in july 23 2013, about 4 months ago?
Doctor Answers (2)
4 Months After Reduction Mammoplasty and Now A Firm Tender Mass Has Appeared
This is common occurrence after breast reduction surgery. It is most commonly due to:
- A reduction in swelling after surgery and the mass that was there has revealed itself
- An area of fat necrosis that will reduce with time
My recommendations would be:
- Have your surgeon measure the mass and then examine it again 3 months later. It will usually reduce in size.
- If the mass does not reduce then a ultrasound can give a more definitive suggestion of what it might be. Cyst vs. Fat Necrosis
- If all of above are not helpful and the mass does not reduce in size after 5 months, then a removal of the mass may be in order.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.