Breast Reduction for 40 DDD

I was a 38 DD in HS and collage. I was 5'5 and 145 lbs. After pregnancy and breast feeding I went to a 40 DDD. I am now 185 lbs. but I am on a complete lifesytle change to lose weight. I exercise 5 times a day and eat healthy. I have always had shoulder, neck, and back problems. My posture if terrible. What size of breast would be realistic to talk with my surgeon about? I was thinking maybe a medium to full C. My goal weight is to be 140, and I plan to be a lot closer to this weight @ surgery!

Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Breast size can fluctuate with weight gain and loss.  It is recommended not to proceed with breast reduction surgery until you are at the ideal weight you wish to maintain.  I recommend reducing the breast size so the size is in sync with a woman's body habitus.  A woman who is relatively full figured should not proceed with a small size after reduction and a woman who is thinner not to large.  The key is to keep the breast size in proportion with one's body.  The procedure should be discussed in detail with your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your inquiry.  Sincerely, Benjamin Schlechter, M.D., FACS

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery and the decision to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to the procedure.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction for 40DDD

+1

I think a mid range C or a D is very possible.  Remember if you are planning to lose a lot of weight your breast will get smaller too.

40DDD Breast Reduction

+1

I agree that you will obtain your best result if you are at or near your ideal body weight at the time of your surgery.  On the other hand, with your symptoms and willingness to go to a C cup, you would qualify now for coverage of your reduction with the usual insurance companies operating in Kentucky.

John Whitt, MD

Wait until your weight is stable prior to undergoing breast reduction

+1

Wait until completion of weight loss prior to discussing breast reduction goals. Clearly there are numerous issues which must be addressed including the amount of lift.

Breast Reduction may be Addition to lifestyle

+1

Breast reduction surgery can certainly improve the symptoms that you mentioned that can be related to having excessively large breasts.  Of course being overweight can also contribute to these symptoms.  I commend you on your efforts to get back into shape and this will certainly serve you well in your postoperative recovery process.  I would encourage you to lose weight down to your final goal ( as close as possible to your ideal body weight).  It is much better to lose your weight prior to surgery versus after as you will have a longer lasting surgical result.  Losing significant weight after most types of plastic surgery ( especially breast reduction / lift) can lead to earlier recurrence of breast drooping.  As far as the size, you should have a discussion with the consulting plastic surgeon to come up with plan that will meet your goals and is deemed as appropriate and realistic by your surgeon.

good luck.

Sean A. Simon, MD