I'm 16 years old, 130 pounds, 5"4 tall and I'm 30E. Can I Get a Breast Reduction?

I'm 16 years old, 130 pounds, 5"4 tall and I'm 30E. I feel heavy at times at my chest even when its periods. Whenever I do an exercise I feel self conscious about them bouncing around! I feel they're in a way at times. I don't like my size in general. Could my breast be the cause of my neck, shoulder and back pain at times when I walk about 1 to 3 hours? Is it reasonable size? I have been thinking about it for 2 years and I'm not emotionally comfortable with them in this size.

Breast reduction can really improve the quality of life.

+2

Hi.

1)  You sound like an ideal candidate for breast reduction.  You should look better and feel better.

2)  Just make sure your breasts are not still growing when you have surgery.

Breast reduction

+2

It is quite possible that the larger breasts may be contributing to your neck and back pain.  It is best to be evaluated in person. Good luck.

Breast Reduction Usually Improves Pain

+2

It is likely that your neck, shoulder, and back pain would improve or possibly go away with a breast reduction.  You should discuss this with your parents and pediatrician who can refer you to plastic surgeon with whom you can discuss the potential benefits/risks.  Good luck!

John Whitt, MD

Avoid anchor lift

+1

At age 16 a breast reduction can be done with parental approval.  However, you are only a size 30 E.  At this size, each 100 cc’s is 1 cup size change.  Most insurance companies require a minimum of 500 cc per breast removal, which would take you down to an A and that would be unacceptable.  I recommend you avoid a technique called the Wise pattern, which results in nipple numbness, the inability to breast feed and leaves ugly vertical scars.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle, results in immediate relief of pain, is stable long term, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction sometimes indicated in teenagers but done with the consent of the parents.

+1

You sound as though you would benefit functionally quite a bit from breast reduction. Familiarize yourself completely with the operation but it will be the responsibility of your parents to sign the operative consents.

Breast Reduction at 16 years of age

+1

It is possible for you to get a breast reduction at 16 years of age if you have parental consent. You want to be sure you have finished developing or you may need a reduction again in the future. If you are hoping to have insurance cover the procedure, you may have to wait until you are 18. Each insurance company has their own requirements, your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to advise you on how to proceed. Good Luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD