DD Cup, back and neck pain: Should I Get a Breast Reduction?

In 15 an will be 16 in August i wear a 42DDD i have back pain all the time sometimes it hurts so bad i dont want to move it also makes my neck hurt sometimes...i have like a red line under my boobs wear my bra sits they are there all the time. Ive tried physical therapy but didn't really help im trying to get my Medicaid back goin plus here pretty soon ill have insure from my stepdads work. What should i do??

Breast Reduction for 16 Year Old?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Wait to have breast reduction until breasts have stopped growing.

+1

Hi.

I really understand how uncomfortable you feel and how urgent the problem seems.  But if you have reduction now, you may need to have it again when you are twenty because your breasts may get big again.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction at 16

+1

Breast reduction at 16 would be indicated with large breasts and the symptoms and signs you display.  You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon with great credentials to determine your goals and needs.  Good luck.

Breast reduction / reductio mammoplasty

+1

Having neck problems, back pains, rashes under your breast which are quite large, you are a candidate for breast reduction. Some insurance companies require prior authorisation before giving aproval for the surgeries.Your young age is not a contra indication for undergoing breast reduction.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Adolescent breast reduction

+1
In terms of your pain pattern and breast size, you would be a candidate for a breast reduction. However, the insurance companies restrict coverage to patients over age 18. In the meantime, you should pursue conservative management, such as physical therapy or chiropractic because these are usually required in order to obtain authorization for the procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD