Breast Reduction 10 Years Ago and Want it Again?

My breasts grew after my first BR surgery - I suspect it's due to menopause (not weight gain). , I'm 5'5" 130 with size 36DD. I would like my breasts to be a small B and would like my BR surgery to result in really small breasts coupled with a small implant to get to a 34B. I like the looks of an implant as opposed to real breasts. Do Dr's perform BR surgery then add a small implant to get the patients like me - the result I want?

Repeat Breast Reduction Concerns?

+1

Thank you for the question. It is somewhat unclear to me why you are considering breast augmentation?  Based on your description of breast size, it seems likely that you will be able to achieve your goals with further breast reduction surgery only. Of course, in-person examination and a full communication of your goals will be necessary to provide you with precise advice.

The concern with repeat breast reduction surgery is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue.   Must be taken during repeat breast reduction surgery to avoid cutting the  pedicle that is responsible for “delivering” blood flow to the nipple/areola complexes.  If this does occur,  tissue necrosis may result.

If possible, try to locate the operative report from your initial breast reduction surgery. Provide this to your plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction with implant

+1
You do not need implants to be a B cup. This can be accomplished by reduction only. If you have a reduction plus implant, which can certainly be performed, then do not expect insurance to cover the reduction at all.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction and implant?

+1

If you want an implant. You may be better off just reducing the volume to the desired volume during the reduction.

Breast reduction a second time

+1

Breast reduction is possible a second time, though the risk to the sensation and circulation to the nipple are higher. The idea of a 'reduction augmentation' is a popular topic on this site and it is indeed possible to have an implant to provide upper roundness or an 'implant' look. Experience is important so be careful as you select a surgeon to consult with.

Breast reduction with breast implants

+1

There's nothing wrong with getting a repeat breast reduction but not without risks.  Many of our patients request a reduction with an implant either for more shapely breasts or higher placement.  There are no limitations as to what options you have.  It's always best to schedule a consult where your board-certiifed plastic surgeon can examine you as each woman is different with diferent goals and needs.  It is imperative to understand all risks and possible compliactions prior to scheduling.  Good luck

Dr. G, Vernon Hills, IL

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Repeat breast reduction and implants

+1

It is certainly possible to have a second reduction but the possibility of complications and problems with healing are considerably increased. It is also possible to perform a lift and reposition the breast tissue higher, closer to where an implant would be giving more of an "implant" look. It is also possible to place an implant at the time of a lift or repositioning of tissue. Obviously, there are many possibilities and you should probably consult with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss what option is best for you. Be sure to be completely honest with your surgeon about your goals and concerns. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon