I'm 17 years old, 5 ft tall, about 130 lbs, and wear a 34D. Can I Get a Breast Reduction?

Hello! I'm 17 years old, 5 ft tall, about 130 lbs, and wear a 34D. My breasts have made me feel self conscious for ages. It's difficult to find clothes that fit, I have to tighten my bra straps way up so my girls won't sag, and I look unproportionate because of my large breasts and short body. Physical activity can be embarrassing, the comments people make are hurtful (and annoying. Like I'm not aware of my bra size already!), and I get knots in my neck and shoulders. Can I get a reduction?

Breast reduction at 17

+1

Based on your measurements you seem to need a breast reduction. BUT I would definitely meet with a plastic surgeon and look at before and after to determine if you will be okay with the incisions. There are many issues to resolve and it is best done with both you and another family member present.

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced because of your disproportionately large breasts.
It is possible that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you  also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Hell

+1

From what you are describing it sounds like you would greatly benefit from a breast reduction. You need to talk to your parents and tell them your concerns. If you have insurance it should be covered.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS