Age 22, 5ft, 116lbs, DD cup: Should I Get a Breast Reduction?

Hi, I'm 22 years old, standing at 5' tall. I weigh 116 lbs. With a size 34 DD breast. I suffer from neck and back pain daily. I work out about 5 days a week on a healthy diet to lose more weight. I'm getting to where I don't have much weight left to lose, and my breast haven't lost anything. Should I have the surgery?

Should You have Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Based on your description you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.  

Deciding to proceed with surgery would need to be a personal choice and only you can make that decision. As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. You may be a candidate to go through insurance for this procedure.  

The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Should I get a breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question.  It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, etc.)

It would be in your best interest to have a mammogram prior to the procedure for screening prior to this procedure, as the architecture imaging of your breast will slightly change afterwards. Well known data exists that having a breast reduction will in fact lower your chance for developing breast cancer, simply because the amount of tissue will be less.  Overall, a breast reduction procedure itself will not cause you to develop cancer.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast reduction may be a good option.

+1

Given your history, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction.  Breast reduction will alleviate your back pain and neck pain.  However, before you decide to proceed with the surgery, you need to understand potential risks, complications, alternatives, and limitations of the surgery.  You also have to accept certain degree of scars on the breasts.  Please visit with board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss ;your options, surgical planning, as well as recovery and see whether breast reduction is right for you.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

Ultimate Breast Reduction transfers weight of breast to eliminate pain

+1

Dear Tessa,

It is not necessary to have your breasts reduced to relieve you from the chronic pain associated with pendulous breasts. The Ultimate Breast Lift series is a revolutionary way to lift and reduce breasts that inflict chronic pain. The UBL is unique in that it transfers the weight of breasts off the skin and transfers it on to the chest muscles. This technique instantly relieves tension placed on the skin transferring pain to neck, shoulders and back. The other equally important benefits to the UBL is that it does not require a vertical scar to properly lift and reshape the female breast. Breasts have upper pole fullness without the need of an implant. Women experience the freedom of going braless due to the internal bra design. In your case, you seem to have more breast parenchyma (common in younger patients) that tends to be heavier than fat.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction candidates

+1

Without a photo it is difficult to comment. every procedure in elective plastic surgery has a potential tradeoff and in breast reduction that is potentially visible scars. This trade would be minimal in a sagging breast with poor shape and severe symptoms and very significant in a perfectly shaped large breast with minimal symtoms. That being said breast reduction patients tend to be a very happy group because they are getting " 2 for 1." Reduction of symptoms and a better shape. Photos of similar patients can help you decide.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like you are a good candidate for breast reduction

+1

It sounds like you are in good shape without excess weight loss needed and have large breasts that produce discomfort.  This is essentially the classic breast reduction ideal candidate.  You will have to decide for yourself if you are ready to take the next step and how much reduction you desire. 

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD